really hard 3rd to 4th upshift

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
So it was tune related??? Interesting..Was it TCM or ECM tune that did it?

Curious as you still shouldn't need a TCM tune to make it shift correct..Was it the ECM tune or TCM tune that fixed the issue?

This was happening on a hot tune by other tuners (IE: canned) too correct?

Considering it was a tune I built that was in the ECM, I'd love to hear some info, even if in private. :thumb:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
So it was tune related??? Interesting..Was it TCM or ECM tune that did it?

Curious as you still shouldn't need a TCM tune to make it shift correct..Was it the ECM tune or TCM tune that fixed the issue?

This was happening on a hot tune by other tuners (IE: canned) too correct?

Considering it was a tune I built that was in the ECM, I'd love to hear some info, even if in private. :thumb:

Its up to James if he wants to put back in a stock TCM tune with the current ECM tune to see if it is still fix'd, It doesn't matter to me either way, what fixed it because the combo together did. I dont see it as a "Tune War" I just had something that I knew from experience that if it shifted poor with that setup it would have to be a "Trans Issue" , I seen that James has been dealing with this issue since May "publicly" and was willing to help "pro bono" to see if we could get some concrete answers as i have a unique situation because i knoiw both sides of the fence tuning and the transmission hard parts , not expert at either but it helps to have insight to the whole problem from every angle.

I understand you wanting to know what fix'd it , it would bother me as well but the info was to hard to gather to not keep it private, a lot of it came from my own race truck and tweaking and tuning to make the trans shift as good as it could this year to help with the Allison holding up to the torture and still have a ways to go , the fact is that some trucks are touchier than others and its easier to fix the tune than yank an intact trans.

And knowing Mike all the precautions to avoid the 3-4 tie up have already been addressed in the initial build , if it had been another builder I myself may have blamed the hard parts but know better coming from Mike , he wrote the book on how to fix that issue , so there would be no gain to yank the trans other to to say "Yep the clutches are good " , bottom line is with a 500 hp truck or 1000 hp truck, trust the shift and what it needs in the fueling to be happy and tune accordingly , there is no one recipe , the one I have is usually pretty good , but there have been a few trucks that it didn't work as good on and had to be tweaked , but that is part of the process.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
The TLIQ table.

Don't know , never seen the old one :rofl: could be as simple as the pulse width table being wrong , the whole tune counts really all of it is used , not just "1" magic table there is much more to it, and the more i learn the more i find what i "used to use" and thought was great , isn't any longer. Not saying my stuff is the best out there , but its mine non the less and continues to improve as I learn, I drink the same cool aid i sell so i know if its sour or sweet :D .

Last edited:

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Yea no tune war here Trent lol. Just hoping to learn something. I never doubted Mike L's build, and wasn't blaming the trans or the build (hope Mike l didn't get that idea) I was just trying to elimate any issues. That's why I didn't understand that it happened on stock and other tunes he had run...I put that same exact tune in a truck to try that pretty much has exact mods, and Mike drove it after he installed his built trans kit. None of it was making sense to me. Like you said all trucks are different, but the way it was looking based on other tunes and trying my tune in other trucks seemed like it wasn't the tune. Maybe the tcm tune did it,maybe all the work in your ecm tune just happens to work well. Idk, that's the reason this peaks my interest lol.

Either way, glad he's running good now, I'd still like to see if its in my ecm tune so I know better. There are many people in this thread to thank for trying and a big thanks to trent for knocking it it lol.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yea no tune war here Trent lol. Just hoping to learn something. I never doubted Mike L's build, and wasn't blaming the trans or the build (hope Mike l didn't get that idea) I was just trying to elimate any issues. That's why I didn't understand that it happened on stock and other tunes he had run...I put that same exact tune in a truck to try that pretty much has exact mods, and Mike drove it after he installed his built trans kit. None of it was making sense to me. Like you said all trucks are different, but the way it was looking based on other tunes and trying my tune in other trucks seemed like it wasn't the tune. Maybe the tcm tune did it,maybe all the work in your ecm tune just happens to work well. Idk, that's the reason this peaks my interest lol.

Either way, glad he's running good now, I'd still like to see if its in my ecm tune so I know better. There are many people in this thread to thank for trying and a big thanks to trent for knocking it it lol.

Na he didnt. talked to him yesterday about the trans and what not so dont worry about that mike (unless i ruined a prank he was gunna play on ya lol). For some reason, i think i have one of those weird trucks. we had to use a certain OS on my DSP tunes for my AC to work, the shifting deal, and i my self have found just little things that seem to be much different than others too. dont know if its cause this truck was built in august of 01 (technically an 02) or what.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Na he didnt. talked to him yesterday about the trans and what not so dont worry about that mike (unless i ruined a prank he was gunna play on ya lol). For some reason, i think i have one of those weird trucks. we had to use a certain OS on my DSP tunes for my AC to work, the shifting deal, and i my self have found just little things that seem to be much different than others too. dont know if its cause this truck was built in august of 01 (technically an 02) or what.

Lol, I remember going thru all that trying to get the correct os to work with dsp5 in your truck :banghead: :D
I have no idea why yours was so picky lol

[email protected]

cmitchell17
Sep 8, 2008
I think I remember mywot 3-4 would be bad sometimes and sometimes(like after a reflash to a 01os or reset taps). It seemed like it would make 75% of the shift at the very last frame of the log. So It would flare to about 3600rpm then drop to about 2800 in one frame. I can test mine though untill I can start making fuel pressure again, but it definately dosen't seem like its good for the trans.

5akman

Chevy1925, is all still well with your shifting? I have a similar problem/gremlin that I'm chasing on my '01 after a rebuild and updated TCM. I've got to shoot some codes regarding solenoids A & B to Mike L after work today to see if he can offer any suggestions. I agree with all you've said, its a bummer to have a tranny built by the best (Mike L) and updated TCM and still have the hard shifts that I had with the stock units due to some other issue thats not easily found! I'm obviously not concerned in the slightest that its a hard part issue in the trans but wonder about wiring harness issues etc. All those things are tough to weed out.......

I'm assuming that if it ends up being a tuning issue as yours was, that I'll need to have an EFI Live unit to load/monitor the program?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Chevy1925, is all still well with your shifting? I have a similar problem/gremlin that I'm chasing on my '01 after a rebuild and updated TCM. I've got to shoot some codes regarding solenoids A & B to Mike L after work today to see if he can offer any suggestions. I agree with all you've said, its a bummer to have a tranny built by the best (Mike L) and updated TCM and still have the hard shifts that I had with the stock units due to some other issue thats not easily found! I'm obviously not concerned in the slightest that its a hard part issue in the trans but wonder about wiring harness issues etc. All those things are tough to weed out.......

I'm assuming that if it ends up being a tuning issue as yours was, that I'll need to have an EFI Live unit to load/monitor the program?

trans is still shifting smooth as silk. wound up being in the tuning. Call up mike, he can get ya pointed in the right direction