realistic motor build costs...

boss760

Mar 8, 2010
Clarkrange, TN
:woott:
:hello:Hey if you guys have money to waste, I will take it.:spit::roflmao: This topic is one that is blown out. Its your right foot that controls the life of your engine. Hey my engine is good for over a 1000 HP, just ask H&S.:hug:

I like that. It might be cheaper to run stock motors, and change them every 4-? passes.:roflmao:

smkndmax05

"Smoked Out"
Feb 17, 2011
Indiana
Dang... I had to skim through all that.. Talk about butchering a post... On to more tech talk and less boohooing... Are the oil pumps in these notorious for going out... I don't think I've ever heard or one tearing up... Input no head bashing lil fellers[/QUOTE

I haven't heard of an oil pump failing, but I spent the 250$ for piece of mind.......I did keep my old pump just in case though.....

THduramax

Will it ever end!
Aug 15, 2012
Flaherty, ky
Dang... I had to skim through all that.. Talk about butchering a post... On to more tech talk and less boohooing... Are the oil pumps in these notorious for going out... I don't think I've ever heard or one tearing up... Input no head bashing lil fellers[/QUOTE

I haven't heard of an oil pump failing, but I spent the 250$ for piece of mind.......I did keep my old pump just in case though.....

Kinda wish I would've did that but too late now

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I have around 8k in parts & 20k miles on my "budget" build and its doing just fine. Probably around 75 passes at ~700hp. For me that included Carrillos, Mahle race cast, valve springs, studs, cam, machine work & misc parts. That does not include the turbo, y bridge, custom piping and injectors. I did get a screaming deal on labor. ;)

K.I.S.S.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Those 10-15 K BUILDS DO OKAY AT 700 HP. THEY DO NOT CUT IT AT 900 PERIOD. COCO IS NOT OFF TOO MUCH IN HIS STATEMENTS ABOUT COST. HIGH POWER IS NOT RELIABLE. IT IS EASY TO CLAIM THINGS WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE A MOTOR MAKING 900-1100 HP.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
if you don't mind me asking how many billet cranks that you know have broke?the reason i ask i am putting one on my built and would like to know some info.thank you.nick

I know of billet internally balanced crank that snapped on a street truck. When I had my crank magged it had a fracture in it. I decided to put a new LML crank in it instead of a billet crank. I lucked out on my built motor that I ran for over 3 seasons. I bought a complete built motor with turbo and injectors that had never been ran before for 14k from a member on here. Sold everything except the longblock for $6200 and that left me with a brand new motor with forged pistons, carrilos, 3688 cam and mildly ported heads with Socal hardware for $7800. I think some shops over charge as they think they're are the only ones that can build motors. There's lots of players in the game now that can do a quality build.

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
I know of a motor that just a few weeks ago made 812whp on the dyno, and it has 20k in everything... that turbo, injectors n' all. But the guy does all of his own work.. the only thing he didn't do was the head work... but he fab'd everything that he possibly could on that truck, himself.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
For over 4g for a billet crank that hasn't yet been proven, I know I won't run one on anything I build. Word on the street is there have been more billet failures than successes.

There have been 1000hp+ trucks bending built rods before wrecking cranks so I see no point in going billet. There is overbuilding a 650hp engine, and then there is being retarded and throwing money away. Billet crank is throwing it away IMO.

Mag your stock crank and balance everything properly. That's your best option.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
For over 4g for a billet crank that hasn't yet been proven, I know I won't run one on anything I build. Word on the street is there have been more billet failures than successes.

There have been 1000hp+ trucks bending built rods before wrecking cranks so I see no point in going billet. There is overbuilding a 650hp engine, and then there is being retarded and throwing money away. Billet crank is throwing it away IMO.

Mag your stock crank and balance everything properly. That's your best option.

:eek:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

True story.
Had some in my hands personally. One of them came out of an engine making 1200hp, the crank had over 225000 miles on it and was still good!!
FWIW Two of them were out of engines that cost over 20g to build.

Last edited:

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
my buddy just got his motor back from phiefers as well, so I know they do good work. So from the sounds of it the bulk of the cost is still in the rods and pistons?

I should have prefaced with Short block. I know the injectors and turbos are already a very healthy chunk, The 480 I have is more than enough on the top end I would probably swap the stocker for a 366 or a big vvt under the 480.

So if I had the rods and pistons I'd be into the bottom end for a few grand? That seems a lot more realistic. For some reason I was thinking the machine work was going to be several thousand by itself...
Don't forget about me either, they built my old one as well. Gonna get Fingers pistons? They seem to be holding at that power level. Don't waste your time on cut cast pistons, they'll break 900hp like mine did. Forged are nice but re-ringing will suck although I'm not saying that they will fail at 40k, could be longer. Also make sure you have a good crank.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Those 10-15 K BUILDS DO OKAY AT 700 HP. THEY DO NOT CUT IT AT 900 PERIOD. COCO IS NOT OFF TOO MUCH IN HIS STATEMENTS ABOUT COST. HIGH POWER IS NOT RELIABLE. IT IS EASY TO CLAIM TJINGS WGEN YOU DONT HAVE THE MTOR MAKING 900-1100 HP.

I know of 3 builds that lived at 850-900 for 3+yrs and were under 12-15k. And i now see that jd dave has close to that also. And by the looks of it, makes it past 900hp for yrs. I to have talked with many shops since i started savin for my motor build, never once have i been told 20k. I have 3 quotes for under 16k. And that includes fingers pistons, head work, and 100overs along with carillo rods, arp studs,ect.
But then again, i will be removing, installing, my twins, heads, and a few other things. It can be done for under 15k. I will prove it like many other have already, and it will make 850+

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Nothing lives forever, it doesnt take 25-30k to make 1000hp, period. I was also told it costs 55-6000+ for a stage 5 trans, georend converter deep pan, tcase brace, ect. And i dont even have 4500 in mine. And i didnt build mine either. Just proving a point. Some people just pay more regardless of what the cost is, cause its gotta be better if it costs more.

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
Holy shit... what a train wreck... to each his own I guess.

I do appreciate all of the help and honestly everyone provided. I'll definitely keep digging on my options. Johns pistons definitely have my attention, and no I'm not buying a billet crank lol.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Those 10-15 K BUILDS DO OKAY AT 700 HP. THEY DO NOT CUT IT AT 900 PERIOD. COCO IS NOT OFF TOO MUCH IN HIS STATEMENTS ABOUT COST. HIGH POWER IS NOT RELIABLE. IT IS EASY TO CLAIM TJINGS WGEN YOU DONT HAVE THE MTOR MAKING 900-1100 HP.

Pretty bold statement Shane,so a guy has to spend 16 k min or more to have a suposedly reliable motor?Which a few have come on here and said already that their build did or didnt make it.Maybe for a guy that wants to drop it off and pick it up done.But the guy that pulls it, tears it down,sorces parts,has the machine shop do their part and reassembles himself and reinstalls.Also in the performance world everything has a life span some shorter then others so to come out and say THEY DONT CUY IT AT 900 PERIOD?I just dont think you can group everyone in that is all im saying,each build is going to differ in some way or another.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Nothing lives forever, it doesnt take 25-30k to make 1000hp, period. I was also told it costs 55-6000+ for a stage 5 trans, georend converter deep pan, tcase brace, ect. And i dont even have 4500 in mine. And i didnt build mine either. Just proving a point. Some people just pay more regardless of what the cost is, cause its gotta be better if it costs more.
Your right about the trans. I have about 4k in mine and its got extra clutches over and above a gmax 6 and custom internal oiling mods. I was told everything that could be done accept billet shafts. I was also quoted 15k for a built engine with pistons, rods, billet mains, flywheel, dampner key ways etc. pretty much everything but ported heads. It would have springs and retainers. Nothing to add power but everything needed to make it robust. This included R@R, machine work and full of fluids ready to drive.

FarmDiesel22

Farmer
Sep 28, 2009
if you don't mind me asking how many billet cranks that you know have broke?the reason i ask i am putting one on my built and would like to know some info.thank you.nick

Blower max for one. And I believe there was a few more. I don't think a billet crank is worth it. But maybe someone knows some info to prove me wrong.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Coming from a 20 something guy who doesn't know me from Adam, I could give a shit bro, I have spent the last year talking to the best shops across our great nation to come to the "guesses" that I have, if I had "another" 20G just layin around to do what I want, I would have exactly what I posted above dropped in the engine bay right now. But since I have taken the last two years to dump just over 30G into my truck to prepare for that engine build and power level, I'm just not there yet. What have you done in the years you've been a member?

I have only been Here for a year, a long year it's been for you having to read my "internet ass-hattery" I am not ashamed to post when I don't know what's up, its how i learn. I'm not ashamed to say I don't know shit still, but I do know I have consulted with the best there is out there to come to the beliefs and conclusions I have now.
:blowme:
:redneck:

I was building and drag racing diesel trucks in 2007. I have done quite a bit in my time here. I was building stuff for diesel trucks even before I was in my 20s in case you were wondering "bro".