RE - Torque Head Bolts. Waste of time?

SBCNX20

Aug 7, 2006
Central MA
Is there anything to be gained re torquing Factory Head Bolts? Low milage Motor thats waiting to go in the truck. I thought it could help a bit? Maybe.

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
Factory bolts are "torque to yield", meaning they are 1 use only. If you loosen them they must be replaced.

Also steel shim gaskets do not deform like composition gaskets do, so a retourque is not as important in this application.

You could replace your bolts with studs, replacing then 1 at a time. It is pretty easy with the engine out.

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
if its running fine with no head gasket issues, I would leave it alone!!!

Agreed , the only time I tried to tighten was when I actually already pushed the gasket . I tightened the lower ones you could get to easy that obviously were stretched just to drive to tear down to replace head gaskets . Did help but was a bandaid for a day . I also only pushed it out between head and block to open air . Was leaking down side of block .

Wouldnt advise driving like this unless no other choice . I needed to get mine somewhere else to do the work .

Mine isnt the easiest to have towed . :D

Johnny

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
Factory bolts are "torque to yield", meaning they are 1 use only. If you loosen them they must be replaced.
Also steel shim gaskets do not deform like composition gaskets do, so a retourque is not as important in this application.

You could replace your bolts with studs, replacing then 1 at a time. It is pretty easy with the engine out.

Hope Adam Wildman knows this....he reused the stock head bolts on his build :confused:

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
You do what you have to do sometimes . He was really pressed for time on his build . It got broke in same day towing from Cali to Ohio .

Im sure he will be fine . All we can do is wish him the luck and hope he has no issues . :)

Johnny