LMM: Rattling from rear wheels

MDJ

Jun 17, 2013
So, when I'm rolling down the road, bumps seem to be causing a rattling noise. It goes away under braking.

Curious if anyone has experienced this or knows of common parts that may come loose in the braking system?

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Calipers can make some noise on the slides sometimes. Happened to me a while ago I just pulled the caliper off and lubed up the slide pins really good and it went away. Good plan e to start but it could be anything.

MDJ

Jun 17, 2013
That makes sense. I couldn't find anything loose under there.

I got the dealership to redo all the brakes and a high pressure p/s line that was seeping. I guess we'll see how she fairs after Thursday!

Thanks for the prompt response. I'll post back with any findings.

dieseltwodoor

Apr 13, 2010
Alberta
I have a rattle in the calliper right now.
If the rattle goes away when you have pressure on the brakes then that is your problem.

Get it on
Got to get it on!
No choice but to get on!!
Mandate... Get-it-on!!!

Catalinajack

Jun 27, 2013
Have you considered a bad universal joint? I recently experienced similar noises that disappeared when braking. Pulled the wheels to inspect brakes

Catalinajack

Jun 27, 2013
Have you considered a bad universal joint? I recently experienced similar noises that disappeared when braking. Pulled the wheels to inspect rear brakes, nothing wrong. Jacked up and ran while rear wheels off ground, no noise. While having the transfer case replaced (local garage) for pump rub-through, my guy discovered a bad rear universal. Noise gone.

MDJ

Jun 17, 2013
I hadn't considered that...

However, I did a brake job and the noise definitely subsided. I still hear it faintly from time to time.

I'll have a look.

Thank you!