Rattle at idle

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
Hey guys, I have this little annoying rattle at idle. It sounds like a heat shield or something is loose. I climbed all over and under the truck and can’t find anything loose.

Any ideas?

I made a quick video with the rattling. It’s hard to hear on the video at times cause if the normal diesel noise

(how can I attach a video? It doesn’t let me)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Well, since you posted in LLY I’m assuming that’s what the vehicle is. Try looking at hanger for exhaust front pipe that attaches at transmission. And then go to passenger side of truck and listen for around the bracket that secures down pipe from turbo to up pipe. Sometimes you have to look with an inspection mirror or spray some WD40 in it and see if noise goes away/changes. Very small crack usually through weld. I’d say most common things I see for stock vehicles

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
Thanks guys, My up pipes and down pipe have been replaced. Are those brackets on aftermarket up pipes?

I’ll look into the stethoscope

Thx

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Thanks guys, My up pipes and down pipe have been replaced. Are those brackets on aftermarket up pipes?

I’ll look into the stethoscope

Thx

Most aftermarket up pipes do not have the bracket to bolt the downpipe to. Which may also be the source of your rattle. The downpipe may be rotated into the up pipe and they could be making contact

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
It was in the shop today for another reason and I asked them to take a look for the rattle and they went over everything in the front and couldn’t figure out what it was.

With a stethoscope the mechanic said it’s coming from the exhaust. Maybe something is in there!! IDK. But he was sure it’s exhaust related. It’s got an aftermarket flopro system on it.

They spent over an hour on it. It’s louder when it’s in gear or for some reason when you put the AC on???

Thx.

down_hiller

Oct 28, 2016
Crawl under and hit your cat with a rubber mallet and see if it rattles, if it does the cat is broken up inside.

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
So I’ve had no luck finding this rattle. Yesterday I had a friend at my house and he help locate the area of the rattle.

Goes like this:

Engine cold, idle in park, push on tranny dip stick tube and sound changes. Crawl under the truck and push on exhaust where down pipe meets exhaust and it stops. Push on the tube, noise changes.

Engine warm, idle in park, pushing on exhaust does nothing but push on dip stick tube it changes the rattle sound.

Engine warm, in gear, rattle is louder and pushing dip stick tube slightly changed sound

It’s totally in the area of the down pipe and dip stick tube.

Only one of the 2 bolts are there for the dip stick tube because of the aftermarket down pipe and I tightened it up—no change

Tightened the clamp from down pipe to exhaust—-no change.

With out removing the dip stick tube from the tranny and see what happens, Any other suggestions? Since the up pipes and down pipe is aftermarket, I don’t see any brackets or heat shields

Dip stick tube is touching the wrap on the down pipe.

Thx

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Check the front pipe hanger support where it is supposed to be in the rubber grommet. I've had the grommet pop out and it rattles.

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
Got it figured today. Finally. Lol

Originally when I bought the truck the egt gauge probe was threaded into the exhaust pipe just after the down pipe. Wrong place

When I did the head gaskets and egr delete, the new exhaust manifold came with the hole for the probe. The shop plugged the old exhaust hole with a brass looking plug.

The plug rattled loose and threads were toast. I pulled the pipe and had it welded closed today.

Noise gone finally.

Thanks for all your help.

Reactions: dndj

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
funny how its almost always something that none of us could possibly figure out b/c we arent there. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: dndj