LB7: Rail PSI ?'s

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
My AD165 was idling at 3 PSI from the factory and now I have it set at 14 and am no longer getting codes for low rail pressure or change fuel filter at WOT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJK-

May 18, 2014
Utah
Sounds like it has too much pulse in the tune. It is probably smoking because it is losing rail psi from too much pulse. Log it or ask your tuner how much pulse it is. Maybe they didn't adjust for the bigger injectors.

I haven't been able to get with my tuner, but I checked my pulse width through my insight and I'm seeing 3100 at WOT. My injectors are pretty small, somewhere around 15-20% over, I think. I do have a bag of parts on my cp3, I think they claim 15% more flow. Does that PW seem high based on my injectors and the bag of parts?

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Yeah. If you're calling for 3100uS with 20% overs and all you're packin is a bag-o-parts, that's your problem

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
A lot of trucks can't hold 3100 with stock injectors. In personally would lower the pulse some and see if it brings rp back up. Mathematically speaking, 20% injectors at 2600 pulse is the same as stock injectors at 3100 pulse to give you an idea on how much bigger they are

JJK-

May 18, 2014
Utah
A lot of trucks can't hold 3100 with stock injectors. In personally would lower the pulse some and see if it brings rp back up. Mathematically speaking, 20% injectors at 2600 pulse is the same as stock injectors at 3100 pulse to give you an idea on how much bigger they are

That all makes sense.. I think I'll give 2600 a try and see how that effects my RP.. Thanks for all the feedback...

JJK-

May 18, 2014
Utah

I'm pretty green when it comes to this stuff, although I'm slowly learning.. If the pulse width is lowered, does the timing need to be adjusted as well? If so, Is this motor timing or injector timing?

JJK-

May 18, 2014
Utah
It is injector timing and yes it needs lowered some as well.

Thanks! Went to the RKL Dyno event today.. Put down 588 on the dyno. Rail pressure dropped to 18.5k and the pulse width was still around 3100. Ryan, my tuner, didn't have time to log it and adjust it, he was busy all day. He's gonna look at it next week. He said he thought he set the pulse width around 2600-2700 but can't remember, he's done a lot of trucks.. It's possible my insight is reading pulse width and rail pressure on the low side, but not likely. That was a better number than I expected.. I also added a boost valve, huge difference in power obviously. Thanks for all the feedback to you boyz!.....

JJK-

May 18, 2014
Utah
588 on a stock turbo?

Yes.. Custom Auto's Dyno. I ran my #1,3,5 tune. 484, 526 and 588.. I thought that was way high also. I was expecting slightly over 500. There were a few other lb'7 around 515-530 and one that did 564. I'm not sure what my boost was, but I know it was a lot higher( I haven't got a boost gauge hooked up, just the insight). Custom Auto left their dyno until next Friday. Ryan's gonna see if we can use it next week after he tweaks my tuning. I'll see if I can get a video and post it.

max3208

Jul 17, 2013
Forestville, Calif
Yes the ECM only reads up to like 24 or 26 psi iirc. Drop $28 on a boost increase valve and lose the vise grips lol
you can make your own for cheaper....we make them for cat motors easy to make any brass 1/4 size valve will do. But beware if your motor is stock anything over 26 pounds of boost could cost you your block.
the PPE valve has a spring in it will give you a few more pounds of boost but that is it.

JJK-

May 18, 2014
Utah
you can make your own for cheaper....we make them for cat motors easy to make any brass 1/4 size valve will do. But beware if your motor is stock anything over 26 pounds of boost could cost you your block.
the PPE valve has a spring in it will give you a few more pounds of boost but that is it.

I thought boost was good up to around 32psi?

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Anything over 26psi could cost you your block? Orly?