Question on shift patterns

Chris611

Jul 14, 2007
Knoxville, Iowa
I am working on a transmission tune where I delete the 1st gear for sled pulling. I would like to just disable 1st gear in 4-LO so I can leave the trans tune in and not change it everytime I pull and then change it back. There are different "Patterns" for the 4Lo, Tow-haul, etc for the selctor in D for the WOT upshift and similar ones for the part throttle upshift. If I use tow haul and 4LO with the selector in 3, which ones do I have to change? Is there a priority to which one take priority.

I found one one here that deleted 1st gear, but it deleted it for all 4lo, tow haul, etc.. I just want it for 4LO.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I am working on a transmission tune where I delete the 1st gear for sled pulling. I would like to just disable 1st gear in 4-LO so I can leave the trans tune in and not change it everytime I pull and then change it back. There are different "Patterns" for the 4Lo, Tow-haul, etc for the selctor in D for the WOT upshift and similar ones for the part throttle upshift. If I use tow haul and 4LO with the selector in 3, which ones do I have to change? Is there a priority to which one take priority.

I found one one here that deleted 1st gear, but it deleted it for all 4lo, tow haul, etc.. I just want it for 4LO.

Unless you are familiar with TCM tuning don't touch it. There are lots of guys here that know what works and what doesn't

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
As much as I hate to say it, you are right :eek:

whatever you say bro I forgot im the enemy huh? All i do is try and help who I can with what knowledge I have so what if I favor vendors or products? Get it out of your head that i belong to a cult Pat, Kat, Mike, Chris, and lots of people here are my friends. You are a weird f**kin guy.

Last edited:

Chris611

Jul 14, 2007
Knoxville, Iowa
I was under the impression that messing with the timing numbers in the transmission is where people get into problems. Something about the transmission trying to put it in one gear before it's out of another. I was just hoping to remove 1st gear in 4Lo.

I found a trans tune on here named Allison3700skipshiftlb7.tun. All they eliminated 1st gear, but it looks like it eliminates 1st gear in all conditions (tow haul, 4LO, Hot trans, etc...)

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Just change the one for 4LO and make the upshift to 3rd happen way late/never. If you put the shifter in the 3 position you will likely not be able to have first gear delete. If you want to send me your TCM tune, I'll make the modifications for you so you can see what needs to be done. It isn't that complicated.