Question: QA1 coil over Question???

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
how about if you never plow and just daily drive?

aside from the occasional sled pull, i never plan on plowing. simply track, DD and random sled pull.

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
also what lengths are people going with now a days?

3" drop shackle with and i typically keep my tbar bolts all the way down.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I would still lay a bead or 2 all the way around the shock mount just to be sure. But I would DD a truck, but not if it was plowing/towing alot.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Like john said, weld up any unwelded areas around the frame shock mount and id also suggest building a bracket that will help dispurse the load on the LCA.

I would not hesitate to DD on coilvers if i did all that. I would not put a plow on the front though. your front end will sag like a mofo and i would not want all that weight on that little bit of LCA. i can see that snapping in a heatbeat on the first good bump you hit, if not snap the bolts holding the bracket on.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I may have too look at building up some new lower control arms out of steel and new upper shock mounts :D
It would be cool to remove the torsion bars and put air ride on the rear end(not related to this subject obviously).

Yellowchevy

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Not really needed. Ive been tryin to put a kit together for two years now but life and money keep gettin in the damn way. I think you guys would be pleasantly surprised just how strong the stock frame mount and lca really are. They are just not gunna like a plow hanging off the front cause spring rates will be way wrong and preload may not take care of the ride height needed without coil bind

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Not really needed. Ive been tryin to put a kit together for two years now but life and money keep gettin in the damn way. I think you guys would be pleasantly surprised just how strong the stock frame mount and lca really are. They are just not gunna like a plow hanging off the front cause spring rates will be way wrong and preload may not take care of the ride height needed without coil bind

You're forgetting the COOL factor in having tubular shock mount and lower control arms, haha. :woott:
I've thought about it from time to time being I just us the pickup for towing.

Good info, thanks

Yellowchevy

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
I believe he was talking about the brackets that at connected to the frame.

A beefer upper shock support I feel would be needed to fun them on a daily driver, plow, or puller.
Just my $0.02.

Yellowchevy

Gotcha. Yeah the upper one looks kinda weak. If you ever come up with a tube LCA like the cognito upper that'll hold a coilover let me know. I would love to ditch the torsion bars. I'm just really not sure about putting coilovers on right now especially with the lift.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You're forgetting the COOL factor in having tubular shock mount and lower control arms, haha. :woott:
I've thought about it from time to time being I just us the pickup for towing.

Good info, thanks

Yellowchevy

Lol ive thought about it and had some drawn up. Problem is the steel tube needed is not cheap, then you have the issue of how to adapt ball joints in. On a daily driver, i wouldnt run anything other than a ball joint and since these stock bottom ones last so long, id really like to find a way to use them.

If i went tubular arms, id extend mine 3-4" over stock for more wheel travel and ditch the lift. May as well do it while im building it :D

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Lol ive thought about it and had some drawn up. Problem is the steel tube needed is not cheap, then you have the issue of how to adapt ball joints in. On a daily driver, i wouldnt run anything other than a ball joint and since these stock bottom ones last so long, id really like to find a way to use them.

If i went tubular arms, id extend mine 3-4" over stock for more wheel travel and ditch the lift. May as well do it while im building it :D

You'd be wise to use chromoly steel which isn't cheap but COOL :roflmao:.

My buddy made some lower control arms for his nova out of chromoly and it was a pain in the ass he said. End conclusion was it would have been better to just buy some, not the case with our pickups but except for the pain factor, haha.

You'd have to machine a carrier like whats on our factory lower control arms then weld them on your arms you made. It would take some time and obviously you'd need a jig for it.

Making them long pushing the wheel out would give it that prerunner look and be cool.

Damn, now I've got another project I want to work on!!! :eek:

Yellowchevy

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Thanx for the info guys !So my next question is would just the QA1 shocks and factory tbars be ok for plowing?

They probably wouldnt last long, but thats just IMO. The ones I had before the coilovers, were pretty skimpy compared to the old rancho 9000s.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Chris R,JustinD,JayF,Chachee,Jeremy holmes,Cody B,Derek B,Toman,George aka Big Dipper,&everyone else who got their hands dirty to get the truck to the level it is at!:hug:

Remember the time I lent you a roll of duct tape and an 18mm wrench?