Pyrometer installation

RaceCarHauler

Oct 10, 2011
I need to install a pyrometer probe for a Banks PowerPak installation. Banks suggests pulling the passenger side exhaust manifold for drilling and tapping for the probe. I'm concerned about drilling and tapping a cast iron manifold. Has anyone done anything that is easier, or found a better location? Thanks.

howie

Dec 26, 2009
Sawmills,NC
Tap the manifold . But you don't have to take it off just crank the truck to keep the shavings from going inside the manifold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
Alot I people have them there you will be fine. The first mod I did to my first diesel was that and I survived. You will be fine.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Go to ppe's website, go to diy instructions, download the pyro gauge install instructions. Follow the instructions explicitly. Dont be afraid to use some speed on the bit. And dont tap the threads so deep that the bung for the pyro sensor seats flush, imo, you want a thread or two seperation between the manifold and bung. Good luck.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Just be sure to use some grease on the bit and tap to help catch the metal shavings, wear safety glasses.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
Mine has been tapped for years, and I have never had any problems.

But....use the grease on both the bit and the tap, and have the engine running.

It helps if you have help starting and stopping the engine. It also helps if you start with a cold exhaust manifold.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Fer sure a cold manifold to start, and i wear leather gloves when i do it now! Dont push the bit eithetr let it feed itself, it is cast, so its pretty soft, use a center punch to make a nice place to put the tip of your bit for a start point, ok, think there is nothing else to add bro

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If you don't want to drill and tap, you can buy a BD driver's side manifold. It is manufactured with a boss that is already drilled and tapped to 1/4" NPT for an EGT probe to be installed in. Drilling and tapping your stock manifold is a lot cheaper though.