Help: Pulsing brake pedal 2002

DURAJETLLY

Jan 22, 2013
Hadley, Michigan
Hey guys dads truck is having some issues with pulsing on the brake pedal. It's almost like the abs is kicking on. It only happens when you are applying the brakes and you get right to the point your getting to a complete stop and it starts pulsing. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
Had the same problem a few times. Guys on here said check your power steering fluid, I guess there ran off the same pump. My fluid was a little low but I found out if it sits for a couple hours it will go away untill you have some time to get fluid.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
If the ABS speed sensors are dirty, they will not pick up signal below 5 mph. I think maybe you mean you are getting ABS buzzing?
Pulsating would come @ higher speeds when youre on brakes-rotor warping.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Had the same thing on our suburban. Low speeds abs would come on. I didnt have time to mess with it . Not sure what the shop found. Wasnt expensive though. The speed sensor makes sense though

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

RIDMAX

Feb 18, 2010
Cranston, RI
I'm having the same problem as the op. only happens right before the truck stops feels like the brakes lose pressure for a second,brake pedal pulses then goes back to normal. Checked power steering fluid it was fine I guess I'll have to check the low speed abs sensors I just replaced the drivers side hub assembly maybe the new sensor is bad. Could it be the hydro boost going bad?

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
The sensor reads off a reluctor ring type thing in the hub assembly i think. Pulll the senor and clean it with brake cleaner and the bore in goes in.

03BlkMax

Jul 15, 2012
Kentucky
Most of the time its a faulty wheel bearing (front hub). At low speeds usually below 10 mph the speed sensor signal drops out. Jack the front end up and check for excessive play in the front hubs. The bad hub usually has play in it.

wildwolfproducts

May 31, 2011
Mine was doing the same thing. About stopped and feels like the left front wheel doing it. As poster put its the ABS jumping in and out right before the truck stops.
Well after Flushing the power steering fluid out, Then get up to about 30 MPH hit the brakes hard a few times. Its not done it again.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=353950&highlight=steering+flush :thumb:

I used 3/8" clear hose and 7 ft was the right length for me. This helped the steering and the brake peddle did not go as far down after doing it. Well worth the 15 minutes it took. Will be doing the Brake fluid next.;)

jevanb

Feb 28, 2011
montrose, michigan
when mine did the pulsing a guy at work who was a GM mech for 30 years, pulled my sensor and cleaned the mounting pad and painted. all good now.. he said he has did this on over 200 trucks with this problem.. since the sensor is mounted with 1 fastener and rust lifts it off so slightly.. took him all about 20 minutes for both fronts..

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Like mentioned before of possibilities...
Warped rotors
ABS senors dirty. Clean with brake cleaner

Another possibility could be a hanging or sticking caliper.

Catalinajack

Jun 27, 2013
Replace your power steering fluid with a full flush. Just did mine. Pedal travel reduced substantially with almost immediate braking when depressing the brake pedal. The annoying pulsating akin to ABS invoking also gone. This was the best maintenance I have ever done in 40 years of maintaining my vehicles.