Pulled by a dodge...I'm PISSED and embarrased!!

willis_bud2

messcan wrangler
Apr 20, 2009
Del Rio, TX
Ok, so I was drinking a little bit and had a buddy that wanted to chain off. In my drunken stupor I agreed.He's got an '06 dodge, 4dr, 4x w/ a bully dog set on crazy larry. Long story short, we chain off and I SNAP both tie rods! I knew this could happen but was hopeing for the best and unfortunately the best did not happen!

So now I'm in need of some tie rods. What do you guys suggest? I've got to get my truck up and running ASAP! It's my fault I know. I knew that my tie rods could buckle but I hooked up anyway. You gotta go hard or go home!!!

What do yall suggest?

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
yeah those are nice, or you could get some stock ones off here or dp and put some crank it up diesel sleeves on it.

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
:rofl: That sucks Steven

Pick up some cognito HD tierods if you have the cash if not get some used stock ones and put some sleeves on them like the others have said

willis_bud2

messcan wrangler
Apr 20, 2009
Del Rio, TX
Here is some pics for those interested.

Attachments

• IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    826.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    673.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    769.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0298.JPG
    IMG_0298.JPG
    787.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    850.7 KB · Views: 73

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
The way I look at it it sux but you are right you have to pay to play.

With getting new ones I would go with stock ones and sleeves as it will save you $$$ in the long run as when they go bad (all will over time) you can just put the cheaper stock ones back on and just re-use the sleeves.

willis_bud2

messcan wrangler
Apr 20, 2009
Del Rio, TX
The way I look at it it sux but you are right you have to pay to play.

With getting new ones I would go with stock ones and sleeves as it will save you $$$ in the long run as when they go bad (all will over time) you can just put the cheaper stock ones back on and just re-use the sleeves.

Didn't look at it that way but you've got a point. I went ahead and ordered the cognito HD tie rods and a set of sway bar end links. I was thinking about getting ahold of some stock tie rods and having them for spares.

I need to order a downpipe from ya. It may have to wait until after the holidays for the obvious reasons.

Thanks for the input!:thumb:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
IMO sleeves are just band-aids for stock junk. Replace it all-you won't regret it.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Not trying to hijack the thread but I have a question the tie rod ends. A couple of months ago when I was still running 305/55r20's I did a boosted launch and caught a bad wheel hop out of the hole which towed the front tires in. It wasn't dramatic, you could tell if you looked at it head on and the steering wheel alignment was off slightly but it was definitely driveable. I looked all under the truck and couldn't figure out what was tweaked, but it was on the driver side of the truck since the passenger side was straight when the wheel was straight. The odd thing is that the tie rod is the only thing that could bend and have 1 wheel out of alignment however, I could not visibly tell the tie rod was tweaked.

I took the truck and had it aligned but they wouldn't (or too dumb) tell me what was tweaked under the front to throw the alignment. I have yet to do any boosted launches since but I know that when the roads are wet and I drive in 4wd it is quick to jerk the wheel under light throttles. Drives fine down the road after the alignment.

Add sleeves (or use cognitos) or should I be looking further into the steering assembly for damage?

willis_bud2

messcan wrangler
Apr 20, 2009
Del Rio, TX
Don't forget to get an alignment after you install them.

FO SHO!!:thumb: I'm gonna do the install then limp it over to the alignment shop. Hopefully all goes well. Anybody have any tips for this install or is it as straight forward as I think it is. What is a good way to get the front end back aligned? Any particular way I should measure?

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
No hints for install. But next time you want to play like that, do us all a favor and lower your t-bars. It will put better geometry on the cvs and tie rods.:D

Last edited:

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Not trying to hijack the thread but I have a question the tie rod ends. A couple of months ago when I was still running 305/55r20's I did a boosted launch and caught a bad wheel hop out of the hole which towed the front tires in. It wasn't dramatic, you could tell if you looked at it head on and the steering wheel alignment was off slightly but it was definitely driveable. I looked all under the truck and couldn't figure out what was tweaked, but it was on the driver side of the truck since the passenger side was straight when the wheel was straight. The odd thing is that the tie rod is the only thing that could bend and have 1 wheel out of alignment however, I could not visibly tell the tie rod was tweaked.

I took the truck and had it aligned but they wouldn't (or too dumb) tell me what was tweaked under the front to throw the alignment. I have yet to do any boosted launches since but I know that when the roads are wet and I drive in 4wd it is quick to jerk the wheel under light throttles. Drives fine down the road after the alignment.

Add sleeves (or use cognitos) or should I be looking further into the steering assembly for damage?

Check your pitman and idler arms, there is a few ways to check them you can either grab ahold of the center link with something to see if it rotates up or down. I like to raise one tire off the ground, grab the tire and try to turn it left to right while watching the centerlink for movment, you will need to watch it where the inner tie rod attatches to see if it moves up or down. So if it moves alot it will have tons of toe in while in 4wheel in 2wheel it will toe out a little. Buy new ones if they are trashed and at the cognito braces at the same time. Mine where so bad once that my centerlink moved almost 3 inches a while back now i can tell if someones are bad by just driving it in 4 wheel.