Proper way to "train" an Allison

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Proper way to "train" an Allison??

I seem to remember that Gasuout posted on DP a way to quickly train the Allison to handle extra power, but I cant find it.

Anyone have some advice about this. Racing is this weekend, and I gotta get the trans to learn the big tune.

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I seem to remember that Gasuout posted on DP a way to quickly train the Allison to handle extra power, but I cant find it.

Anyone have some advice about this. Racing is this weekend, and I gotta get the trans to learn the big tune.

Put the big tune in 2 or 3 days before you race and make sure you drive aggressively during that period. That does not mean beat the shit out of it either, just roll into throttle more than usual.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
What's a small tune? :confused:

Sorry the :witch: couldn't help herself. Listen to Mike :hug:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've always done the go 1/4 throttle until the shifts are good, then 1/2 throttle until the shifts are good, then 3/4 and finally wide open. It usually seems to straighten out pretty quick after you get the 1/2 throttle shifts down.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Remember when we were told to go 60mph and throw it in LOW?

:D

Doing a "full flash" with a 2001 OS will "tighten" a trans pretty good most the time.

Pat you were never told that; you just read this BS in a few posts like the rest of us :rofl:. The moron that came up with this shit didn't have the balls to fess up to it in public. We all tried it knowing the tcm would never allow such a thing and found the idea lacking. :D

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Anyone got a 2001 TCM program?

Looking like its going to rain tomorrow, so racing may be out......... but I appreciate the help so far.

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
Bac , I went and looked for that post I wrote on training trans . Couldnt find it either . It was damn good too . Wanted to just copy and drop it hear .

I took a long time writing that one .

Ive done relearns many times . Sometimes I would relearn before leaving for the track and it would be good but not at it's best . At irwindale I tested this many times relearning at track on arrival . But remember I was getting in 15 passes a night there and had time for all the passes to learn trans . The truck would take about 5 passes to become its best . I would have timeslips to see 10.40 - 10.35 - 10.23 - 10.18 - 10.08 and then it was consistant 10.02-10.01-10.001- 10.00 ect the rest of the night .Tune 8 .This way was learning full throttle and no other positions . Sometimes I would forget I relearned and leave track and damn all the defuel learning cycle would have to be done . Trans was all over the place except for full throttle . Till many times through gears at many different positions . Would catch you off guard after a night of great shifting racing . And leave and through funny defuel shifts , and Id say WTF ..... damn truck .

Best time 1/8 9.66 ppe10 68 mph and 9.50 EFI 70 mph 1.9 60ft.

The problem with doing at track is the amount of time needed to achieve best . Alot of times you only get maybe 3 passes so doing before you leave or day before might be better .

For the most part I would relearn before leaving house 40 miles away and it would be close enough for it to start out close to best and then after maybe 2 runs get to a consistant best time .

I even stopped doing relearns on my trans for the most part and would just go and let it learn . But that was because I had already found my best and was just there to have fun . And I got tire of going through all the funny defuel shifting learning the trans completely later leaving .

I would listen to what Mike thinks and I think his advise will have you very close to your best and after a few passes your trans should drop times and get better if you havnt taught it any bad habits around town before arrival .

Hope this helps

Johnny