Proper Learning Procedures after a build

h2oman613

Oct 15, 2012
Trans is on its way back from All Season after a build (thanks to Tony, JJ and Tim @ TNE Diesel).

I only have a SNAP-ON SOLRUS to reset the Transmission Adaptive Pressure Settings, or EFI, but not sure that is 100% effective. And no access to the Allison DOC Service Tool (Do the GM Dealers have this?).

Once the TAPS are reset and trans is, I assume, forced into "learning" what would be my preferred method of driving for "break in" or learning/adapting?

With the Allison being adaptive do I still need to do certain throttle "pulls" first 25% then 50% through all gears etc?

What tune is preferred, my largest or smallest? Or pick the tune I will use for DD.

Thanks for any help.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Anytime you change tunes, the trans will have to relearn. I would recommend putting it on your biggest tune and leaving it there. You need to do like you said, start at 25% and go thru all the gears, then let off, and come to a stop, (downshifts are just as important as up shifts) Same process at 50%, 75% and then a few WOT pulls. I had all my taps reset, even my reverse. :) I always use T/H when racing with a built transmission, because most builders will add mods that allow more line pressure in t/h than in regular driving, unlike the stock transmission. If irc, t/h has a different set of taps, and you can teach it to shift more aggressively in t/h. BTW, the more you can drive it the more it learns. Your transmission will never quit learning.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
most builders will add mods that allow more line pressure in t/h than in regular driving

Line pressure is controlled mechanically. They modify it so it doesn't drop line pressure when the TC locks (it locks earlier in TH mode if your tuning is stock).

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Anytime you change tunes, the trans will have to relearn. I would recommend putting it on your biggest tune and leaving it there. You need to do like you said, start at 25% and go thru all the gears, then let off, and come to a stop, (downshifts are just as important as up shifts) Same process at 50%, 75% and then a few WOT pulls. I had all my taps reset, even my reverse. :) I always use T/H when racing with a built transmission, because most builders will add mods that allow more line pressure in t/h than in regular driving, unlike the stock transmission. If irc, t/h has a different set of taps, and you can teach it to shift more aggressively in t/h. BTW, the more you can drive it the more it learns. Your transmission will never quit learning.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

your first half is good, second half not so much :D

Like todd said, line pressure wont change once you hit T/H. when they build the trans, most guys change the springs so that once TC lock up occurs, pressure only slightly drops or does not drop at all but does not give the HUGE drop in pressure stock gives. only thing T/H changes once you enter it is shift pattern udner partial throttle/ when TC lock up occures under partial throttle, and runs under its own adaptive learns. You can not teach the adaptive learns to shift more aggresivly. They learn on their own and thats it. if the trans is shifting harsh or "more agressive" after the learning process, your defuel is not enough in the tune. A tech2 or the allison DOC are the only two things that will TRUELY reset the taps fully. using anything else is hit or miss if it really cleared them completely.

Also, jsut cause you learned on the big tune does not mean the trans is set and ready to go for the rest of its life. if you drive on a moderate tune for a week or two, jump to the big tune and floor it, the trans is not gunna shift spot on that first WOT run as the adaptive learns have learned the way you drive on the small tune. Hell even my 550hp single tune that i dd on doesnt like the first WOT i give it if ive been granny driving all week. it will hold back fuel pretty bad the first time. i usually give a few 50% runs and work my way up a few times if i plan to go beat on it.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
We have a Snap On Solus Pro with the 10.4 software, and it will to a fast relearn like a Tech II.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
We have a Snap On Solus Pro with the 10.4 software, and it will to a fast relearn like a Tech II.

Did you actualy watch the values change or are you assuming it worked. The red brick does not do well with the Allison.