LB7: priming built motor

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
I have finally got to the big moment and already a prob.While cranking the motor over to prime I am not getting any oil pressure from the gauge or lines and starting to get a little skeeerd.Any idea's or thoughts?new rev thread pump and every nut and bolt torqued to spec.This is the motor in my avatar and Thanks in advance.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I built a tool to pressurize a engine for first start situations. Just a 2 inch diameter pipe I hooked an air fitting and shut off valve on one end then a line on the other end. Fill the pipe full of oil and thread the hose into an oil galley and apply shop air to the pipe. It pumps oil into the engine to prime it. That will atleast give you a good oiling to start the engine and if you don't see oil pressure within 2 or 3 seconds, shut it off. Unless you have a scanner that can see oil pressure, I doubt the gauge on the dash will register while cranking.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
Thanks Mike!I usually see some pressure while cranking but for some reason I have tries 6-8 times and cant get a drop of oil anywhere.I pulled the turbo feed lines and with a funnel put a liter in 2 of them and left the lines off while cranking and nada,almost seems like the pump is dry.I will try the compressed air.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Probably won't help you at home but at work I do something similar. I came up with an adapter to hook the shop oil dispenser to the oil pressure sensor port. I pump the full crankcase capacity into the engine through that fitting at 40psi. When first started it builds pressure like it's already run

prodiesel804

Feb 1, 2013
Ky
Like others have suggested you will have to get enough oil through the galley until it reaches the pump. With no lube in the pump you don't have enough suction to pull oil up the pickup.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
FK YAAAAA.Got oil.Pulled the tight ass hex head port on the filter housing and used Mike's contraption to push oil through the filter and up through the pump.5 sec of cranking and had half the gauge.Thanks fellas:hug:Now its time to start this biatch:woott:

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
FK YAAAAA.Got oil.Pulled the tight ass hex head port on the filter housing and used Mike's contraption to push oil through the filter and up through the pump.5 sec of cranking and had half the gauge.Thanks fellas:hug:Now its time to start this biatch:woott:

:thumb::hug:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I never primed mine, I just unhooked bale connectors so it wouldn't start and hit the starter for about 10 seconds. hooked bale connectors back up and fired it up. With the amount of assembly lube they use it's not really going to hurt the motor, plus my first break in oil was 5-30. ;)

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Garden sprayer tank and 1 barbed fitting does the job just fine. ;)

Interesting pipe-bomb that Mike made, though. Did the job.