Ppei tune vs edge pulsar L5P

Rysmdpt14

Dec 5, 2019
How much is left on the table for power etc using and edge pulsar vs PPEI tune? I know with Gas or 6.0 etc custom tunes have the most power, but with diesels I’m not too sure as this is relatively new to me.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
From what I have read, ppei can still manage to hit that 530-550 mark with all intact emissions.

Edge pular is only looking at 100hp gains.

Both state less regens. I person do not believe either of them because of the simple fact that more fuel is being burned, creating more particulate cresting more use of the after treatment system.

I have not messed with either, it's only and opinion. And I would like to be proved wrong as it would be a really good thing if it is possible.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
IMO the performance gain from custom tuning vs a canned tune like an Edge Pulsar or Banks Derringer definitely do not outweigh the costs. Let's not forget that its insanely expensive to get the ECM unlocked as well as buy an ECM tune.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Agreed, plus the pulsar does have some pretty cool features that you can change on demand.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Kory's tunes are no longer "custom tunes" in comparison to banks or edge if he does in fact have the EPA's stamp of approval. They will be "one size fits all" due to the expense of epa testing and wait time.

the days of a tune customized to your truck are over unless you tune it your self.

Rysmdpt14

Dec 5, 2019
That’s what I was wondering, the cost of unlocking an ecu and me tuning it myself or a canned tuned via pulsar, banks etc.. 1800.00 plus the 10 credits, additional 400 or so for tcm plus 4 credits. Then Taking to GM to get VATS reprogrammed. Not to mention no vehicle for a week or so. I may just do the pulsar for now and wait till the price drops.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Kory's tunes are no longer "custom tunes" in comparison to banks or edge if he does in fact have the EPA's stamp of approval. They will be "one size fits all" due to the expense of epa testing and wait time.

the days of a tune customized to your truck are over unless you tune it your self.

There are no custom tunes in the diesel world. They’re all cookie cutter tunes. For 90% of people the pulsar is plenty. But if you want your speed limiter removed and torque limiting gone you’ll need an actual tune.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013

Hence why we should start sharing what we know again with each other! Cause us users can't get in trouble.

Rysmdpt14

Dec 5, 2019
I personally enjoy tuning, and learn just for the experience. I’ve moved on from tuning boosted e38 and e78 torque based ecu’s and want to learn something new. I’m not about spending that amount of cash just yet though, dang. It was $100 in credits for gm ecu and tcm!!!!!! Now it’s like I have to sell my kidney to gain some performance. But in mean time I think the pulsar will keep me satisfied while I read up on tuning these diesels.

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
Hence why we should start sharing what we know again with each other! Cause us users can't get in trouble.

Good luck, those days seem to be long gone.. the diesel world we all love is dying and going to the wayside, and yet really helpful info will die with it.