PPE Lift pump Q's

c_murray7313

Addicted to HORSEPOWER!!!
Apr 2, 2007
Ocean City, Maryland
hey everybody,

im going to start plumbing and wiring my lift pump tomorrow and i was wondering how everyone wired their pumps up. i wanted to tie the wiring into my Trippin overhead gauge panel switches. also im not exactly sure where i should get power from. thanks in advance.

Chris

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
I used a Painless fuel pump relay/wiring kit. I went this route so I could get the relay and multi colored wires so I could keep things straight. I also got split loom to go from the engine bay back the frame rail to the pump. You could just go to Radio Shack and pick up a 30 amp relay and a bunch of wire to do the same thing and save about $20.

I used the red jumper box in the engine compartment for my full time 12v, and an acc fuse to get the pump to come on with the key. You could bypass that and just run a keyed power wire up to your trippin switch.

tinman22

Feb 17, 2007
Stillwater NJ
I did the same thing , used the painless relay kit. comes with everything you need except a switch. just need a little extra wire to get to where your going. the kit has a thermal circut breaker instead of a fuse which I thought was nice. I Wired mine right to the battery for power and an always hot tab somewhere under the dash. I dont recall at the moment

Lennart

Not from here !
Aug 10, 2006
Detmold, Germany
I was just thinking about that as I see no need to run the lift pump all the time. With the available parameters of the DSP output it could be used to switch the lift pump nicely.
How many are using the DSP out anyway???

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
That would work perfectly as long as it had enough juice to energize the relay. which isn't much.

dsp for switching the lift pump on......... BRILLIANT!

c_murray7313

Addicted to HORSEPOWER!!!
Apr 2, 2007
Ocean City, Maryland
where is everyone splicing into the fuel lines at? my wiring should be here in the next hour or so and i wanna get cracking when it arrives. ive seen a few pics of where folks have installed em but im not sure if i can mount it infront of the fuel cooler since im installing my titan tank on Monday. if anyone has any pics PLEASE post em up. thanks.

Chris

tinman22

Feb 17, 2007
Stillwater NJ
mine is mounted on the frame rail infront of the tank and cooler. but that wont work with a titan tank so I cant help ya with that

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
I plumbed mine in right at the tank outlet. There is about a 3 foot piece of fuel line that goes from the pick-up to the front of the tank behind the cooler.

I just replaced that section with fuel pump plumbing.

Bentley

Doesn't know $hit...
Mar 7, 2008
Under a big a$$ rock...
Also, something you guys might want to consider if you are not going to run the pump all the time is to run a bypass around your pump so the CP3 is not trying to constantly pull fuel through the pump. Even though the PPE pump which is just a 1792 can flow fuel through it, some are harder than others. Just plumb in a one way valve that will allow fuel to flow to the motor but not backwords.

I am running SD's old twin style lift pumps and run the low pressure pump all the time but when they fail that is how I am going to do mine and then have the pump activated my the DSP output.

Bentley