powerglide behind a duramax

fishsmith

May 14, 2008
Monroe, LA
Will it work. I know a couple of cummins mud trucks running them. If it matters truck will be around 4500 lbs.

Last edited:

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Will it work. I know a couple of cummins mud trucks running them. If it matters truck will be around 4500 lbs.

What are you going to do with it? I know that a lockup powerglide works well behind a Dmax, but at that weight I am not sure. Stingpuller would be a good one to ask.

Last edited:

fishsmith

May 14, 2008
Monroe, LA
It will be in an s10 bodied truck 4 linked front and rear. It was a mud truck in its former life. It has been built right. The powerglide had a built 572 in front of it

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
GMC of course!;)

I would like to see it under 4k. Glides work well behind big inch N2O gassers in the mid to high 3K range.

Agreed except for the Gay Mans Chevy. :bootyshake:

The glide does not have the surface area on the band nor the capacity of the servo which applys the band to hold the tq of the Duramax tq with big weight. Bands are passe in racing transmissions. I also question the diameter of the input and output shafts. The ratios are great. I believe 172.1, and 184.1 for first gear. I just don't think this little trans has the balls to handle it.

JOHNBOY

Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Agreed except for the Gay Mans Chevy. :bootyshake:

The glide does not have the surface area on the band nor the capacity of the servo which applys the band to hold the tq of the Duramax tq with big weight. Bands are passe in racing transmissions. I also question the diameter of the input and output shafts. The ratios are great. I believe 172.1, and 184.1 for first gear. I just don't think this little trans has the balls to handle it.
Well I guess we will see how long it lasts. There is one behind a hot Dmax now. 1.25 Vasco input, 1.375 output. They live behind blown and N20 engines that make as much torque as we need to. Not everyone needs to make 1500ftlbs. Mike does not. :cool:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Well I guess we will see how long it lasts. There is one behind a hot Dmax now. 1.25 Vasco input, 1.375 output. They live behind blown and N20 engines that make as much torque as we need to. Not everyone needs to make 1500ftlbs. Mike does not. :cool:

John
I never tried this trans behind a Duramax and am only throwing out info that I know about the glide. I hope it holds.
I am playing with the 4L80 and will be putting it behind a Duramax soon.

JOHNBOY

Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
John
I never tried this trans behind a Duramax and am only throwing out info that I know about the glide. I hope it holds.
I am playing with the 4L80 and will be putting it behind a Duramax soon.

It is all good Mike!

Mike Wood pushed his 4L80 farther than most thought it would go.
He does not make a ton of torque. That is on purpose.

If they can live behind a a 2000+ hp gasser it should work behind a 1000 hp Dmax. It will not last forever. If it lasts 30 to 40 passes in the low 9 to high 8 range that is enough. That is far more life span than you will get from the Allison at the same elapsed time range

The glide should handle more power and hopefully get the front half of the 1/4 mile to match the back half.

2003 duramax

Feb 16, 2009
I don't know how it would hold up behind a dmax but we have a glide in our mud truck it's a s10 front and rear 4 ling with 44s in the rear and 38.5 tires in the front. It also has a 632 BBC with single dominator and it makes 1200 hp. I will have to get with my old man on the torque. But we have ran it for two seasons with no trans issue.