Powerflow Dragster update

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
It's been a bad year with the dragster. lol I have been fighting issues with the car not running clean banging going down the track. Well finally we have the miss fixed! Brayden playing on his CP3 test stand found out that a LBZ computer cuts the injectors at 5300 rpm. That was part of the miss. I leave the line at 4500 and when you would put more power it would flash up pretty high. Also my injectors which are from my truck were junk. I had them tested at Columbus Diesel and lets just say they were laughing when I talked to them. They have had a long life since 2006 so I guess I can't complain. Now the fixes. Brayden went into EFI Live and added two tables (patch) so the ecm would fuel past 5300. Brayden's tuning and now I think its 6000. New Fleece stroker fuel pumps. New 250 over S&S injectors with body modes it run like a beast. First pass on the burnout it sounded clean and mean! I think it sounds pretty bad a$$ at 5600 on the burnout! lol Big injectors, big cam(SOCAL) and big pumps with mods to make fuel past 3400 rpm gives it a cool sound at full song. Now the bad!!! The first pass I lifted early in the run to get some data and make sure I could stop on the short track. I run a 5.00 at 120 mph BUT it run clean. Only a .1 delay on the shift but run clean. 2nd pass I changed nothing and was going to run a full pass and should have been a mid to low 4.80. On that track it would be a very good pass. Robinson could only run a 4.88. BUT just like the rest of the season about 500 ft it dropped a couple of cylinders and run a 5.0 again. When I got out of the car there was water everywhere!!! I looked and my radiator cap was missing. That's not good! lol After a short what the he!! I found that it had lifted 4 injectors and torched a hole in the head into a coolant passage. Just my luck. Now I have a set of junk heads to go along with all the other stuff. I will say that those SOCAL heads have been good to me. I bought them from Guy in 2008 and they have been problem free until now which is no fault of them! They have had a good life. I guess i'm going to try a set of stock heads to finish out the year and get it going again. I'm just out of money and getting burned out. I would like to thanks everyone that has helped with the car. Powerflow exhaust for there support. All the guys at Fleece Performance for there help and never give up lets get it going drive. I feel like family every time I'm at there shop! I think I'm a long lost brother. I would also like to thank Guy at Socal for parts that last and last. Fuelab fuel pumps, Nytrex nitrous,Mahle and Isspro. Without great companies it would not have happened. Now I need a weekend away and with the family camping or boating or something that doesn't involve racing. lol I need a break then I guess I will tear it apart and begin fixing it again for the last NADM race and the World Finals in TX. What a year.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
That's awesome they got it running right. It obviously sucks that it ate itself so shortly after running good. Y'all will get it running right soon. :thumb:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm glad to hear you finally got it all figured out, Jeff. Sorry to hear about the head problems.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Keep at it Jeff!! i know the feeling of getting burned out when your kinda pioneering your own way through. It seems your getting things knocked out atleast so i really hope you keep on workin at it!

crzycowboy

May 21, 2012
Jeff, we're proud to have sponsored you the last 3 years, and I hope we can for the next 3 years. Also I'm personally proud of you for not burning it down when you were more than obviously fed up with it! Hopefully I can make the NADM race so we can hang out and make Billy do some grilling while we're there...LOL

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Good you got the miss figured out, I guess why no one else has had that problem is no one as pushed one to that RPM? Bad about the injectors and heads, but as you said they have served you well.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
Happy to hear the miss is fixed, Sorry to hear about the heads. I am sure every real racer out there understands needing a bit of family time away for racing. As a Duramax guy I am proud of what you have done. You are pushing the limits going outside the box. Good luck with the rebuild hope to see more and more passes from it.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
2 steps forward 1 step back. I was sitting with the HSP guys at outback steak house. I didn't know it was you until after we left. I would have enjoyed taking wth you.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Thanks everyone

I didn't know it was you Dave. I would have said something. Lol not sure Ken how many people try and run the motor at 5500 rpm. It's one thing to rev it that high but another thing to have full fuel up there. I'm not sure how high the pullers rev there motors. I need to drop it about 1000 rpm and I think it would be faster. Time will tell I guess.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Sorry to hear, Jeff. Look at it this way...when you do get the engine put back together, you know now it'll run good right out of the box. Keep at it. :thumb:

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
If you need a hand with anything Jeff im just a phone call away! I can't wait until you get a full pass under that thing with the bugs worked out!

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Man where's the video of this baby screaming!?!

At least you torched a head after you got some logs with the miss fixed!

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Glad to hear the miss is fixed I was wondering what the issue was after seeing numerous videos of the little rail moving quickly and then busting up like a fueling issue almost sounds it was lack of fuel which in this case it was glad that's straightened out now to push on with hind sight 20/20 and get that little rail dailed in and chase that scheid rail down and pass em gotta keep expectations and goals high I know you can Jeff I'm a good friend of your friend Matt handwork and was there when he broke 9 in Bradenton fl and in Cecil ga at sgmp hate to hear he got out of it but keep your head up a person once told me to go fast it takes two things cubic inches and dollar bills but I say there there's three things and determination is the third keep up the hard work things break and things tear up all you can do is fix em and move on hope you have a wonderful time away with family and friends and I look forward to seeing that little rail running soon take care jeff