LLY: Power steering pump pulley backed it self off of shaft

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
Any ever have this happen ? Backed off threw the belt . Managed to use a puller and get in back on correct but no explanation why it happend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Yeah I have actually. Had a customer show up with the exact same problem about a month ago. Found no reason why. Used the tool to push it back on the shaft and it's been fine ever since. I have no idea why it happened.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
As pumps get loose the start a slight vibration. It causes pulley to work itself out. Learned this the hard way. Mine did the same thing. After the 3rd belt I replaced it. Some guys tack weld them.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I had one do it on 1982 truck some 20 years ago, a friend of mine took a punch and dimpled the inside of the pulley about 4 times both sides around and never came off again.

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
As pumps get loose the start a slight vibration. It causes pulley to work itself out. Learned this the hard way. Mine did the same thing. After the 3rd belt I replaced it. Some guys tack weld them.

So basically shaft on the pumps getting tired , might just need to replace pump . St 92 dollars a pump it's worth it . Costed me 2 hrs of my time today

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
So basically shaft on the pumps getting tired , might just need to replace pump . St 92 dollars a pump it's worth it . Costed me 2 hrs of my time today

The shaft on the pump is hardened steel, the pulley I would suspect to be the problem before the shaft.