Potential buy 2005 Silverado 2500HD LLY

Spoolin

Aug 31, 2014
Hey guys,
I have been looking to get into a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with a LLY. My price range right now put me in something around the 220k mile area. I have found one with 260k miles and the dealership is asking 13k for it (planning on negotiating this down). I ran a car fax to check service looks like 1 owner with several fixes done to it Here.

So based off this what type of things should I be checking for? the engine looks unmolested and no signs of any aftermarket parts added. So possibly an older guy owned this to do some weekend towing.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hey Julien! The main things with the LLYs are the head gaskets. With the engine cold, squeeze the upper radiator hose. If it's hard, it's going to need gaskets. You can get a glimpse of the bottom row of head bolts too, they are uncovered, so that will tell you if it has factory bolts or something upgraded (keep in mind though, just because it has factory bolts doesn't mean the gaskets haven't been done). I forget if you have EFILive, but if you do set up a scan tool and see what the Actual and Desired Fuel Rail Pressures are doing (while driving, take it WOT if you can), if they are significantly different there's an issue with the fuel system somewhere (injection pump, fuel pressure relief valve, or fuel pressure regulator). Also check injector balance rates in P/N and in gear, anything over +/- 4 is out of spec and should be replaced. Water pumps are fairly common, check for drips from the lower radiator hose on the driver's side of the engine, coolant will start to drip out of the weep hole at the bottom of the pump when the seals start to go.

Also, if you can get on some open highway, try to get the truck to do a WOT 4-5 shift (should be in the 70's or 80's for MPH probably). That's the weakest shift for the Allison, if it goes into limp mode you'll know the trans needs some work.

Spoolin

Aug 31, 2014
Hey! Thanks for the quick response and information. I will be going back tomorrow and will check the radiator hose. It looks like the water pump was changed at 221k. I will also check the tranny tomorrow if I can get this thing out on a larger highway. As far as it drove, the first time everything felt nice no shakes, rattles, smoke or anything to give me cause for concern but the high mileage makes me uneasy about the front end. There are no service records for anything done there.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Front ends are solid now, may need a few wear parts replaced but thats about it. My LMM had 119,900 on the clock when I sold her and it never had a single part in the front end replaced and my mechanic said it was still really tight...

Ricardo 1

Sep 19, 2014
On LLY replaced no 7 injector problem not gone please give pointers how to check injectors don't have code scanner