Porting/Polishing LLY Turbo

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I was able to port/polish an LLY turbo a few months ago for a guy that's not to far from me that has become a good friend. For some reason he calls and asked me duramax questions so I don't know what that's about, haha:roflmao:. I did a couple new things I haven't done to other variable vane turbos that I was very happy with.

His pickup was down to build his heads, installed head studs, EGR delete, PCV re-route, and cleaned everything up in his engine bay.

Goal for the pickup is daily driver, tow vehicle, running down the strip, and possibly hook up to a sled. He wanted to see how much we could do to the turbo and how far it could be pushed. With that said he decided on a port/polish, rebuild, batmowheel, and fingers vanes.

Pickup is an 05 LLY. Stock exhaust manifold on the passenger side, LML exhaust manifold on the drivers side, Profab tow flow up pipes, profab downpipe, 5in exhaust, stock intake, LLY mouth piece, stock tranny(built one in the very near future), and predator tune(EFI live once tranny is built).

If you've often wondered if re-routing the PCV is necessary you can see from the second picture how dirty the inside of the cover gets if you don't do so. Everything get covered with oil and the wheel has alot of oil on it as well.

The Garret turbos have good sized up pipe ports but there's still room for improvement. Now the turbine discharge side I removed ALOT of material so it would match the ID of an aftermarket downpipe; about 1/8" on each side.

Yellowchevy

Attachments

• LLY Turbo 1.jpg
    LLY Turbo 1.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 583
  • LLY Turbo 2.jpg
    LLY Turbo 2.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 603
  • LLY Turbo 3.jpg
    LLY Turbo 3.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 601
  • LLY Turbo 4.jpg
    LLY Turbo 4.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 974
  • LLY Turbo 5.jpg
    LLY Turbo 5.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 601

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Once I got the up pipe ports and turbine side rough cut I used flap wheels to clean them up and make them nice and smooth :woott:. I was able to open up the turbine side to almost 3". ;):D

After getting the everything all cleaned up I gave it a some good paint followed by installing John's vanes. His vanes are a work of art and I was very excited to see how they would perform. As you can see from the picture they're smaller in profile to the stock vanes. From talking to John they really shin in the upper RPM's in that they get out of the way so more air can go through them.

Yellowchevy

Attachments

• LLY Turbo 6.jpg
    LLY Turbo 6.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 993
  • LLY Turbo 7.jpg
    LLY Turbo 7.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 681
  • LLY Turbo 8.jpg
    LLY Turbo 8.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 607
  • LLY Turbo 9.jpg
    LLY Turbo 9.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 627
  • LLY Turbo 10.jpg
    LLY Turbo 10.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 657

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
With the paint dried it was time to reassembly everything and get it ready to reinstall. It turned out really well and looks good.

Tim came by lastnight with a couple more turbo's for me to throw on the shelf so we went for a spin and I took some video's. Sorry for them being so dark.

The turbo definitely has a different sound and runs really well for just having the predator tune on it. Sitting there idling its really loud and has a nice whistle to it, kind of sounds like a jet, haha.
It also has a mean sound to it when you take off :woott::thumb:

Thanks alot Tim for letting me work on your turbo and getting to know you. I have a feeling we'll get in trouble down the road, haha

Here's some video's I put up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6E7hscdeXA&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2GRDswyAxU&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg_Gljt4yB0&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZu2cu-guqY&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU_OLV1nmxQ&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy
Yellowchevy

Attachments

• LLY Turbo 11.jpg
    LLY Turbo 11.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 409
  • LLY Turbo 12.jpg
    LLY Turbo 12.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 428

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I have an ihi for you. Talked with your friend today good dude, and a nice truck
. Definately has an aggressive sounding whistle

Thanks Jordan. Tim's a great guy. That pickup turned out good and it really rips, I can't wait to see how it does once he gets EFI live.

Are you looking at getting some magic done to it? haha

Yellowchevy

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Thanks Jordan. Tim's a great guy. That pickup turned out good and it really rips, I can't wait to see how it does once he gets EFI live.

Are you looking at getting some magic done to it? haha

Yellowchevy

Injectors are being done the first week of December and then head studs and gasket turbo will be off soooo.... Why not

TdmaxJr

Aug 7, 2013
Missouri
I am more than impressed with this turbo so far! Love the sound and ready to try some more power to it:) Soon enough it will happen. Thanks again Russell:thumb: It's definitely money well spent for you guys that are thinking about it

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
wanna shoot me a PM with how much it would cost to port/polish and vanes?
id like to do a bigger wheel in mine one day and if its already off might as well get some more work done to it lol

dtrent

Oct 22, 2013
LLY upgrade

I have a 07 LBZ 3500 and just purchased a 05 LLY turbo just to play around with. i would love for you to port and polish, vanes and add billet wheel for me. Would you be interested and what would be the cost.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I am more than impressed with this turbo so far! Love the sound and ready to try some more power to it:) Soon enough it will happen. Thanks again Russell:thumb: It's definitely money well spent for you guys that are thinking about it

Thanks for the kind words Tim. :thumb::thumb:
It was great going for a ride the other night, that thing really rips for a canned tuner and stocky tranny. :woott::woott:
I can't wait to ride in it with good tuning and a built tranny.

Yellowchevy

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
i have been wanting to machine or port the turbo exhaust inlet also.
Nice stuff

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
how much material do you think was removed from the exhaust outlet??? i ported my lly turbo and added a batmowheel last year. I am gonna add finger's vanes and polish and port some more over the winter. But im gonna throw the exhaust housing on a lathe and bore the exhaust outlet and see how that goes. Any idea if there is a upgraded bearing kit or what the turbo builders use for this type of work?

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
Also has any of these been dynoed after the work?? Any results? Technically these are basically like Mark's (danville perf.) work stock style stock appearing 64mm turbos that he makes?