LLY: poor fuel mileage

sbsonicda

Nov 26, 2010
i just bought a 2005 duramax and have only been getting 13 miles per gallon. i crawled under it and seen that it only had about a 7 feet piece of 3 inch pipe for the exaust. i was wondering if it only being 3inch pipe was my cause for bad fuel mileage cause besides that the truck is stock.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
7 FEET?? do the lbz mouthpiece (search) and put a full 4 inch exhaust. just do some searching on this site and you will find all(well almost) all the info your lookin for and some:D

Dave at BD Diesel

Oct 7, 2008
Always start with a 4" exhaust, high flow air filter and then a tuner or chip, beleive it or not the tuner will be your biggest fuel economy gain if you can keep your foot out of it. Advancing timing and changing the fuel map can really improve fuel economy. improving a turbo diesels engine ability to breath air in and out with a good intake and exhaust will compliment what the chip is doing and further improve fuel economy

here are some starting points

Exhaust
Exhaust Manifold
Intake
Edge Chip
Ultra X-Tuner

Hope the helps
Dave

sbsonicda

Nov 26, 2010
yea i changed fuel filter and oil first day i got it. i had a dioblo sport tuner on it but didnt inproved milage much so took it off. and yes its a really short pipe on the exaust its maybe makes it to where the bed starts. "its a crew cab" and it has a k& n air filter on it

Last edited: