Pitman Arm Snapped!!!

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
I heard a loud pop while backing in my boat tried turning the wheel back and forth nothing. Crawled under the truck to investigate, the pitman arm sheared off from the center link :(. I got it all fixed the next day but I am wondering why this happen. Maybe my cognito braces putting it in a bind.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
If memory serves me, that's not terribly uncommon with cognitos.

That and cost are why I would buy the allseason brace from Tony.

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
Moog the guy at the auto parts store told me it was neglected. My response was how in the f@&$ do you neglect a pitman arm. Tony's brace won't work on a lifted truck if it does I will get one.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
Your correct, Tony's brace is for lifted trucks.

So far I have had good luck with just sleeves on my truck, I have the fortune of Being able to run negative slope on my tie rods.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Moog the guy at the auto parts store told me it was neglected. My response was how in the f@&$ do you neglect a pitman arm. Tony's brace won't work on a lifted truck if it does I will get one.

Maybe you were suppose to hug it or send it a card and flowers? :roflmao:

Abuse maybe ,neglect? Maybe a bad choice of words because it makes no sense. I'd say it was defective but if a brace is sold perhaps they are weak.

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
Maybe you were suppose to hug it or send it a card and flowers? :roflmao:

Abuse maybe ,neglect? Maybe a bad choice of words because it makes no sense. I'd say it was defective but if a brace is sold perhaps they are weak.

Haha exactly

Abuse maybe a little :thumb:

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
Yea I guess that's why they have you by nuts with their warranty. But it was greased maybe I should cut down on my turning just go straight lol.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
How many miles were on it?

I dont like the cognito braces for a couple reasons.

1. they dont keep the idler/pitman arm from wearing out like advertised cause any truck with a decent amount of over factory power will cause them to flex and still allow the idler/pitman arm to wear out, even just lifted stock power trucks.
2. they hide a bad pitman/idler arm. if you lifted your RF tire and tried to check for wear like most people do (trying to turn the tire left or right and make the drag link twist up or down), the braces wont let you as you dont have the torque needed to make them flex. you have to remove them to check the idler/pitman arm or put your tire up againt a strong wall and have someone look under the truck as you turn the wheel back and forth to see the worn part.

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
Roughly 30000 maybe less only lifted for about 5000. Make sense, they won't show wear until they break.

I am interested in any other options. Should I take these off the truck?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Roughly 30000 maybe less only lifted for about 5000. Make sense, they won't show wear until they break.

I am interested in any other options. Should I take these off the truck?

id say a straight centerlink of some sort. so either a setup through henry or the dmaxstores setup. i wouldnt take them off till you changed steering setups, jsut take them off and check for wear every 5-10k. 5k if you use 4wd reguarly (drag racing, 4 wheelin, ect) and use that big power with it.