Piston removal

Dab

Jul 31, 2014
Hey,

we are a dieselshop in the Netherlands

we have a 2003 silverado with a duramax lb7 engine.
The injector of the cilinder left front has burnt a
hole in the piston and has damaged the intake valve.
We can fix the head no problem...

* Question *
Can i just remove the pan underneeth the engine and replace just the one piston instead of taking the whole engine out

Hope somebody can give us some information whats best to do

Best Regards,

David ( from DAB)

Attachments

• foto david.JPG
    foto david.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 103
  • foto david 1.JPG
    foto david 1.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 113

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Are you planning on dropping the front axle out so you can get to the Pan? Either way, pulling the engine or taking apart most of the front suspension to get the pan off, it will be a far bit of work. Is the cylinder wall in good shape? I had to hone mine after i lost a piston.

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
Trust me you will be time and money ahead to remove the engine. I did exactly this as a young tech, lost my a$$ by not pulling the motor.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Dab

Jul 31, 2014
Thanks for al the help.
I had all ready i mind the its not possible to change the piston with the engine in the car.
Do we need to lift the body up then take enigine and transmission out or remove the front bit radiator and fenders etc. Than remove transmission en lift the enigine out??
If you got any questions about european cars go ahead :))

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
You don't need to lift the cab and you don't need to pull the trans. Engine can come out on its own.

Word

Unhook your batteries, all your grounding straps and any electrical connections that connect the engine to the frame/body (at some point you'll want to set the truck on jack stands with the front tires removed and get it as low as possible to make it easier to work on)
Then remove the bolts from bell housing, pull starter to access and remove bolts from flywheel, remove engine mount bolts, remove downpipe, pull the grille, swing A/C heat exchanger away, remove intercooler, drain coolant system and remove radiator, thread bolt (grade 10.3 10mm x 1.50pitch, course) with washer and chain into the back of the passenger side head (through the bracket that the EGR hooks up to) and put a bolt with the other end of the chain in the extra alternator mounting point on the front of drivers side of the engine and then hook your engine hoist up and you should be ready to pull the engine out.

I'm sure I missed a couple steps, but that's the gist of it

Last edited:

Dab

Jul 31, 2014
Wow thanks again for the information
Unfortuanly the owner doesn't want to repair the piston he thinks he can drive with this. we adviced to replace it.
So when the head is fixed we will just assembly the head on the engine without replacing the piston

we dont want the engine to get damaged even more after replacing the head back on it
but the customer wants it so badly.

what are you thought's on this??

thanks for the future information.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. The customer knows of this near catastrophic failure but doesn't want it repaired and thinks it's not a problem?

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
He will keep driving it and that little hole will grow and grow until the piston eventually grenades and takes out the cylinder, rod and crank shaft.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
He will keep driving it and that little hole will grow and grow until the piston eventually grenades and takes out the cylinder, rod and crank shaft.

That's if he even makes it out of the parking lot due to massive crank case pressure blowing the oil cap off and dipstick out.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
That's if he even makes it out of the parking lot due to massive crank case pressure blowing the oil cap off and dipstick out.

Or it'll start blowing oil out the tailpipe and smoke like a chimney!

Not replacing that piston.....
That's just dumb, I'm not even that dumb, that's how dumb that is
:rofl:

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa

It will end up like this, then this. The first picture, the hole is from a bad injector sticking and the second is from someone driving with a bad injector and a cracked piston for too long. I maybe able to salvage the block from the second engine, but it will cost a lot less then having to ship over to replace is current engine in about a week or two. Also he probably will be using lots of oil and trailing a lot of white smoke all the time.

Attachments

• IMG_20140724_080841.jpg
    IMG_20140724_080841.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20140428_154530.jpg
    IMG_20140428_154530.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 113

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Another picture of the first piston, I only cut the bottom of one of the wrist pin holes.

Attachments

• IMG_20140724_080721.jpg
    IMG_20140724_080721.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
If it was my shop I wouldn't even put it back together for him. I would charge what I had done and leave it at that. There is no doubt it won't make it very far before exiting the block.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
And sound like a midget with severe Tourettes is holding a hammer in each hand while having a spasm inside the block.