Pinching pennies on front end suspension/ steering replacement, Help?

Sirrobbythe5th

Dream truck in work
Sep 14, 2016
Alrighty folks, so I've got an 04 lb7. I just bought my ZONE 6" lift kit today and itl be here on thursday. Heres my issue, I know I need to change the ball joints. Im the type of mentality to fix everything at once, cheaper and less time consuming.
But.....Do i go with some cheapo kit for $100-$150 that comes with all ball joints, inner tie rod ends, outter tie rod ends, pitman arm and idle arm..

I still want to do the CVs and hubs as well. and control arm bushings

so with all that being said. I don't wanna drop 600bucks on all that. But i don't want garbage parts, Im running 18x 35s and my wheels are pretty damn heavy with a 4.5" backspacing/ -19mm
Any suggestions?
again I'm looking to replace, (upper and lower ball joints, control arm bushings, hubs, tie rods and tie rod ends, idle arm and possibly pitman arm, and cv axles)

Sirrobbythe5th

Dream truck in work
Sep 14, 2016
well, If i just do all stock parts. and not upgrade them. Ive been able to price it out around 300-400 which is reasonable.
I guess the better question is what parts are more of a priority to upgrade than others lol

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
For 170 I'd be scared to know where that shot was made.

OP if you just bought a lift and are trying to save money of the necessary steering and suspension components to make it safe and reliable maybe you should return the lift and fix it right...

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
For 170 I'd be scared to know where that shot was made.

OP if you just bought a lift and are trying to save money of the necessary steering and suspension components to make it safe and reliable maybe you should return the lift and fix it right...

The website said last time we looked into them that hey we're made in USA but no telling.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
I bought one of the kits off ebay 5 years ago. Big mistake. Ball joint let lose 3k miles in and tore the fender and door up. I usually only use Napa for front end parts. Sometimes summit racing for stock. Everything else I got was from dmaxstore.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I got all my parts off rockauto. Moog problem solver...im not going to say they are better than stock as i dont know. Other than the boots are cracked and dry rotted after 4 years everything is tight and is greased a little every 2-2500 miles. All of the parts though are just "stock" replacements and I sleeved my tie rods and run the pisk. Op I'd get new uca as they are only a few $ more than a ball joint and easier to swap, plus you get new bushings there. But as stated if your worried about the money then you should return the lift and fix it right.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS

This. If you can't afford to fix it then you shouldn't be modifying it. Big tires and a lift will be even harder on parts so if you fix it with junk it won't stay together long.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
This. If you can't afford to fix it then you shouldn't be modifying it. Big tires and a lift will be even harder on parts so if you fix it with junk it won't stay together long.

X2 For god's sake, dont cheap out on front end parts. You saved up to buy the lift, do the same for the rest of the front end.

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
Don't be pinching pennies on the parts that keep your truck driving down the road.

Sirrobbythe5th

Dream truck in work
Sep 14, 2016
Its not that I can't afford it, Its more like I'm just trying to save money, and was more curious to know what parts should be UPGRADED before the others. None of the steering/ suspension components are damage on my truck, just a few torn boots. It just makes more sense to change them now while ill be in there!.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I would replace everything bjs, tie rods etc and up grade to cognito braces and tie rod sleeves. Unless you are going crazy off road, sled pulling, racing. Then you might do more up grades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
The tierods on our trucks are extremely weak. It's a good idea to replace worn out tierods but the weak part is the whole tierods assembly itself. It's smaller than a honda civics. Big tires and a lift amd it will bend eventually. Look I to either getting tierods sleeves or bigger aftermarket tierods.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
For a lifted truck, shouldnt he just skip sleeves and braces and just go to a kryptonite-type larger tie rod?

Sirrobbythe5th

Dream truck in work
Sep 14, 2016
Now what about control arms? My plan was just to replace the ball joints and bushings, Im not really planning on doing "HEAVY" off roading at all, also has anyone experienced any camber problems lifting their truck 6"?