Performance mods to hp gains

Philv

Jan 30, 2018
Surprise, AZ
Ok, correct me if this is unrealistic. I'm shooting for the 700-900hp range. 60 over SAC injectors, Duramax tuner 68mm turbo, dual fuelers, 5" exhaust with true 3" down pipe, true 3" hot and cold pipes, bigger CAC, and efi live. Am I even in the ballpark for the power I want? Any ideas, shoot them my way.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If you don't have "rods" as your first item, stop now and lower your expectations by a lot.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Ok, correct me if this is unrealistic. I'm shooting for the 700-900hp range. 60 over SAC injectors, Duramax tuner 68mm turbo, dual fuelers, 5" exhaust with true 3" down pipe, true 3" hot and cold pipes, bigger CAC, and efi live. Am I even in the ballpark for the power I want? Any ideas, shoot them my way.

The duramax tuner 68mm turbo, if flow is like a Danville 68, should be good for 700-750hp.

You will need alot more parts than what you have listed to hold that kind of power. You will need a mild built motor (rods, ARP fastners, ect), a built trans (billet is a safer option), lift pump ect.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
The parts you listed might make 700hp until the tranny is gone. Once you build the tranny the motor will most likely take a dump.

Philv

Jan 30, 2018
Surprise, AZ
I didn't mention the trans, cause I already knew that has to be done before I add anymore power. Plus I planned on doing a lift pump when I do the injectors, I just don't know which one I'll go with yet. I thought the internals we're strong enough to handle that power?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I didn't mention the trans, cause I already knew that has to be done before I add anymore power. Plus I planned on doing a lift pump when I do the injectors, I just don't know which one I'll go with yet. I thought the internals we're strong enough to handle that power?

God no, stock internals don't like much above 600 for long. I bent 7 out of 8 connecting rods on a Danville 68 Stage 2R 4094, 60% overs, 10mm pump, built trans ect by sled pulling all summer long and driving it like it owed me money. They dyno sheet only showed 674hp/1186tq but his dyno does read about 50hp low compared to others in the area.

Philv

Jan 30, 2018
Surprise, AZ
God no, stock internals don't like much above 600 for long. I bent 7 out of 8 connecting rods on a Danville 68 Stage 2R 4094, 60% overs, 10mm pump, built trans ect by sled pulling all summer long and driving it like it owed me money. They dyno sheet only showed 674hp/1186tq but his dyno does read about 50hp low compared to others in the area.

Dammit, I was hoping it would hold. Ok how's this, stock injectors, stock turbo, stock cp3, but everything else I listed before. Could I get to the 500hp range? I'll save everything else for an engine build for the big power. If I could get close to 500, I think I'll be happy for a little while. Lol

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

nope. you might squeak 700-750 if you make the truck light, run high rpm, and have Mark tune it with his cylinder pressure setup.

since you have an LB7, i would drop your power expectation to 550-600 and then detorque the tuning so the rods live. at min you will need rods and delipped pistons to hold 700-800hp semi reliably. that 68 single wont get you into the 800-900 range with out a big brother.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Dammit, I was hoping it would hold. Ok how's this, stock injectors, stock turbo, stock cp3, but everything else I listed before. Could I get to the 500hp range? I'll save everything else for an engine build for the big power. If I could get close to 500, I think I'll be happy for a little while. Lol

A built trans, stock fuel truck (healthy pump), stock turbo is good for 500-525hp depending on tuning, health of parts ect. They do get a little warm on the big tune but nothing crazy.

Have you ever ridden in a built trans/stock fuel/stock air truck?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

put SAC replacement injectors in (they are 45% over and you said you have to replace them anyhow), EFI Live and make sure the CP3 is healthy and you should be able to achieve that goal of 500rwhp.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Do not be so quickly disappointed with 500 rwhp , remember that is about 100 more rwhp than a new L5p AND NONE OF THE EMISSIONS BS ! Upgrade as you need to, it is fun to feel the progress , and good luck !

Philv

Jan 30, 2018
Surprise, AZ
Thanks guys. I'll shoot for as close to the 500 mark as possible. Hopefully here in about 3 months I'll be doing the injectors and trans. I have a great prospect for a job that'll give me what I need. It's just a waiting game now.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thanks guys. I'll shoot for as close to the 500 mark as possible. Hopefully here in about 3 months I'll be doing the injectors and trans. I have a great prospect for a job that'll give me what I need. It's just a waiting game now.

Sorry about being as harsh as I was, but it just seems that more and more, people new to this think these engines are indestructible. They are not.

Looking at your sig, all you need for 500rwhp is a lift pump and PPE Hot+2 tuner. No kidding. But you'll still need a trans build to hold it.

Then save up for rods, studs and your turbo/fuel ideas and upgrade later. LB7 internals can only handle about 525rw max with any sense of reliabillity. Dont let anyone tell you different.