Peg leg...

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Today my wife and I decided to take our daughter to the snow for the first time. It was nice. Well we decided to leave and I start the truck throw it in reverse and it lerched back then nothing. Throw it in 4by let off the brake and nothing again... noticed only one tire spins front and rear.

So i got a few questions about my axles. Well more about the center section. I found a locker https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0078UBMBG/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3L3682DLIEIH8
And im really not sure if its what i need (spline wise)? Anyone run one towing? Hows it act on the street? Would it be worth getting or should i look into a used axle with factory lim-slip? What else is everyone using? Any recommendations for the front? If i can find parts used is it worth my time or just get new?

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Hmmm ill have to keep my eye out for coupons then. I will also be keeping it stock spline just for the fact i can get replacement parts from the junkyard. Now ive seen them advertised but I cant find them is an air locker. Is it worthwhile to search it out?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I am going with ARB air lockers front and rear. Only turn them on when you need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
You know what, think thats the route im going. I just read other posts and thats what everyone says. My truck sees trails and desert roads both at a fair speed nothing crazy and it will never be crawled or pre-ran like a makeshift race truck. Im already adding air so it would workout perfectly.

So now does anyone know the cheapest route to go on getting said parts.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
I like that price but when its locked i wouldnt be able to unlock it till i can back up. Nice but i could see it being a problem in tight turning conditions like the boat ramps. How does it work in reverse?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I like that price but when its locked i wouldnt be able to unlock it till i can back up. Nice but i could see it being a problem in tight turning conditions like the boat ramps. How does it work in reverse?

the true trac and torsen units are limited slips. they will never "lock" like an actual locker.

I dont care for full autolockers like the grizzly and so on. mainly because it is always locked unless you turn and are on 0 throttle or very light throttle. little too much and it locks in and you are screaching tires around the corner. same if you accelerate hard around a corner from a stop to get out in front of traffic. eats up tires. if you can "learn to drive it", you can make tires last. Its certainly better than a spool.

best would be an ARB like you stated. only fully locked when you want it to be. just not cheap at 1k for one. Or you can look into a new G80 locker for the rear of the truck. its GM's version of a locker. it uses clutches inside to ramp up pressure when one tire spins, locks them up and makes both spin. Issue with that diff is there is a govenor in there that wont let the locker enguage when over 25mph. this part can get damaged when you are locked up doing a burn out and it catches or when out hammering down in the desert. the clutches also wear out after about 150-200k and its harder for it to lock in.

btw, unless that rear tire that was not spinning was on dry dirt or asphault, you wouldnt have gone anywhere. i was up in Sundace Utah riding a timbersled snow bike with a few buddies last weekend. we had a heck of a snow storm come through and even with a rear locker, we had one hell of a time getting the trucks out from the cabin. just takes a little spinning on snow in one spot to make it ice and you go no where. good tires with lots of sipeing and 4wd win in that area of lockers. the ass end is so much lighter than the front, its hard for it to get enough traction to drive the truck forward.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Yeah I got lucky. I had drivers side tires on asphalt and other two in the snow and i was able to rock the truck loose. Then i went for a rip down a dirt road and puddle hopped to only get a check engine light and a shift inhibit.... sh!t sucked laying in the icy mud. The whole day though i battled the 4x not being 4x

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I have an E locker in the front of my lmm. I really don't like it I don't think it engages 90% of the time. My buddy has one front and rear in his truck. I have also heard of them breaking the pins off. Mine has been out and checked several times but it still only seems to work when it feels like it..

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
You can wait for their annual sale and get their air compressor for free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk