PC Help.. McRat, Poltergeist, Sikdmax

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
Poltergeist, McRat, or SikDmax will probably be able to answer.

My geek glasses have been put away for a few years and I've missed a lot of the newer tech.

I just ordered some new pc's for the office's and new employee's and have a few questions.

The PC's are Core2Duo E6600's and have 8GB of DDR3 RAM. I would think that these should be able to run quickbooks, the new customer service/phone system software and anything else we'd need in an office environment right? They are running Win7 Home Premium 64bit.

My question is ... What video card should I get to run dual monitors.. PCIe x16?

Also I'm confused with Dual Link DVI. Does that just have 2 channels in 1 cable to support larger than 1920x1080p? Or can you use the DVI splitter cable and run dual monitors with it? I'm really looking for a PCIe x16 low profile card (Low power no gaming) with two like connectors to support my dual samsung 24" monitors, they have HDMI, VGA, and DVI connections.

Most of the cards that I've seen have one of each connection... I need dual DVI's or dual HDMI's. Preferably not dual VGA.

The video card won't be used for gaming.. Just mastercam/solidworks and our electronics layout software.

Thanks in advance.

Brayden

Last edited:

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
OK.. That's what I needed to know.. I don't do any gaming just want to be able to have a desktop the size of .. well a desktop :) Dual 24's should do it.

I ordered all my parts from newegg. I like the looks of that system combo you posted in Josh's thread.

Thanks for the help!

Brayden

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
To clarify... when using the Y cable... It will have my current desktop and then another area on the other monitor that I can "drag windows across" ? I don't want a cloned display, I want an extended one. 3840x1080.

When I connect my laptop, I usually "extend" my desktop. That's how I want to configure the new setup.

Last edited:

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
I guess while I'm at it.. Didn't microsoft open up xp mode to all processors regardless of if they support virtualization? I have some legacy electronics cad sofware that no worky in win7. Regardless the E6600's support virtualization.

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
Bryaden, like you, I have had the geek glasses off for a while. Today I just bought a "midrange" workstation for our shop that is supposed to be pretty good at running Mastercam (sort of purpose built) as far as doing multi axis toolpaths, verification, etc. Looked good to me, but I pretty much deferred to the guy that is doing the programming I used to do, and let him do the legwork as he will be the one cussing at it if it doesn't work (pretty good return policy too though :thumb:)

It is coming with one of these: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-quadro-2000-us.html Looks like it retails for $400-$450. It will run dual 23" monitors. It looks like that will be done with DisplayPort>DVI cables. Need to make sure on that though.

Keep in mind "running" programs and running them well are two different things. We finally came to the time where were doing enough complex toolpaths, for instance on the internal shape of an airfoil, that we need to step it up. You can get by with not very much if you are only doing simple 3 axis, or 2.5 axis work.

Good luck in your search.

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
To clarify... when using the Y cable... It will have my current desktop and then another area on the other monitor that I can "drag windows across" ? I don't want a cloned display, I want an extended one. 3840x1080.

When I connect my laptop, I usually "extend" my desktop. That's how I want to configure the new setup.

Yes that cable basically gives you 2 monitor output. You would have the 3840x1080 that you are talking about. I think they use the Y cable due to space limitations.

Here is the post by Pat about his problems with cad software, it may or may not pertain to you.

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?p=404651#post404651

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
Hey thanks for the input... Just simple 2 and 3 axis machining here. I just don't know if the PC that I ordered would be able to handle a larger 2 slot PCIe x16 card. I might order up one of the higher power newegg combo deals and add a good vid card for MY workstation :)

Which processor should I go for on a high power rig? Phenom II or an I5 I7?

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
It's funny how you can fall right back into geekdom.. you end up looking at water cooling and case mods and ..... hexacore overclocked to 4.0 ghz water cooled.. :) We have an addiction my friends and it's not just diesels. We like everything modified and faster !

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
I had been planning a computer upgrade since May and kept somehow looking at water cooling also. Funny thing is the folding computer is sitting on the floor now and I'm finishing building a case out of wood and sound damping material with 6 fans and no water cooling. Sometimes you just gotta say: No. :spit::spit:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Thoughts:

Even the weakest new computers will run normal work office apps quickly. 8 GB is WAY overkill and isn't even supported unless you are running a 64-bit O/S. 4GB is plenty.

Last I heard the XP Mode was virtualization embedded in Win7 Pro. Doesn't work with all programs though, or on all hardware.

All modern cards support dual monitors. Some support quad monitors. What I did, was use ATI 4290 onboard graphics motherboards, then added ATI 5450 cards (~$50?).

This way I can run 2 x 2 monitors, a VGA + HDMI off the 4290, and a VGA + DVI off the 5450.

Starting with XP, dual monitors have built in support with Windows. The "normal" mode is extended.

For cheap dual monitor, I also use the nVidia GT220 card. Low profile, very fast for office apps, $50?.

Here's how most work: If they have 3 outputs, but can only use 2 of them. If it's VGA+HDMI+DVI, you can't run both the HDMI + DVI.r