Parking brake to the floor problems

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
I have read a lot of forums about parking brake pedal going to the floor. I recently did a brake job on my 2003 DMAX. 4 new rotors, all new pads, new rear axle seals and parking brake shoes. I used a drum brake measuring tool and adjusted parking brakes to .020" clearance. Reassembled and parking brake still went to the floor. I got to thinking and came up with a solution that worked great. I couldn't figure out the whole automatic adjuster on the pedal I have read about so I went with this. I got a turnbuckle and 4 cable clamps (for security purposes, I didn't trust just 2) my pedal locks the parking brake half way down now. After I installed the turnbuckle I had to readjust parking brake shoes. One side was dragging after tightened cable to proper adjustment. I guess the cables are stretched. (only had truck 6 months) Works great now, thought I would share! Had to make sure it didn't hit the eyelet that holds the cable or the body mount.(see attached photo) Total cost at my local hardware store was less than $9

Attachments

• IMG_4254.JPG
    IMG_4254.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4257.JPG
    IMG_4257.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Not bad, when I bought mine it went to the floor also. After a few years I just ripped out the whole system. Looking at the size of the park pawl it ain't gonna break :D

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Not bad, when I bought mine it went to the floor also. After a few years I just ripped out the whole system. Looking at the size of the park pawl it ain't gonna break :D

That works great until you have a zf6.. I've gotta put new e brake shoes on mine soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDMAX

It sure is nice when hooking to the camper or trailer on a hill and not having to jerk the truck out of park or getting that "roll back" when putting it in park. I forgot how much I used it until I didn't have it. Or if they check it when getting it inspected which rarely happens.

Last edited:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Well for me it was the easiest way, I don't tow, I don't have to get it inspected and I definitely don't want a zf6. :D

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
That works great until you have a zf6.. I've gotta put new e brake shoes on mine soon

No matter how many sets of shoes you do it never seems to become 'easy'. One the worst parts of the job imo. I'd almost pull the hubs and have to do inner hub seals also just to make the job little easier. On a superduty you can buy the rear dust shield completely assembled with e brake assembly. Makes it a little easier when replacing rusted out brake dust shields.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
No matter how many sets of shoes you do it never seems to become 'easy'. One the worst parts of the job imo. I'd almost pull the hubs and have to do inner hub seals also just to make the job little easier. On a superduty you can buy the rear dust shield completely assembled with e brake assembly. Makes it a little easier when replacing rusted out brake dust shields.

Yup.. I realized I needed shoes when I changed a seal not long ago.. Didn't have time to do it then or it would have been a Lot easier. I'll probably sacrifice a couple seals though and pull the hubs lol

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
The parking brake shoes have adjusters just like old drum brakes. Mine didn't work when I bought the truck, I adjusted them up and they work great!

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
That turnbuckle basically is the same as adjusting the park brake shoes tighter. You probably had a problem with the slack compensator in the parking brake pedal so the turnbuckle took all the "automatic adjusting slack" out of it and converted it to old school parking brake setup. But whatever works for ya! I usually adjust mine on the tight side. A good amount of drag, drive it and use the parking brake to stop it a few times, then adjust it till they're slightly dragging again. Best results I've gotten so far.

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
There is no adjustment in the cables, it is supposed to be done at the adjuster in the drum. Nothing is wore out I've torn into it and replaced what was needed.

Edit: I misunderstood your post... Nevertheless...