p0841 Troubles

dmaxdallas

Bosch Diesel Power
Oct 21, 2015
Clarkston, MI
Hello Everyone!

I’ll start off by saying this is my first post on this forum, have been an active member on some other boards for a couple of years but was always told this particular one contained the most knowledgeable individuals in the industry.
Some background into the issue I’m having, the truck is an 04 LLY with 170k miles and 15k miles on the Merchant built trans. The truck had sat with the motor torn apart to various degrees over the past 11 months or so. In the last couple weeks I finally got it back up and running again and have been sorting out some small issues ever since.

During the truck’s “maiden voyage” I was on the interstate doing 75ish when the MIL lit up and so did the service brake system light. After pulling over onto the next exit I noticed that I no longer had reverse and, according to my CTS, the trans was locked in 5th. At that time I had codes p2138, p2140, p0700, p0742, and p0841. The p0742 was likely due to my toying with the BT lockup box on my drive. I was able to clear all of the trans codes except the p0841, to much avail. Every time I cleared codes with both my Autocal and CTS, the MIL light would disappear for about 2 seconds then light back up and throw the p0841 again. When I shifted into drive there was a large clunk, and the CTS continued to indicate that I was in 5th gear. I managed to get the truck trailered back to the garage at my house and have been troubleshooting over the past couple of days.

Judging on the description of p0841 – “transmission pressure switch, solenoid C stuck open” this seems to be some sort of valvebody issue.

A noteworthy observation from going through each electrical harness and connector to the trans, I noticed that the round connector at the passenger side rear of the transmission was wet with trans fluid, almost like its leaking out of the bulkhead fitting at the trans case.

I have a Tech 2 at my disposal now that the truck is in the garage, and it has not been able to clear the p0841 either. Is there anything I can to do with the Tech 2 in attempt to “unstick” the proper transmission pressure switch?

If not, from what I’ve been reading of people with similar issues, my next plan of attack is to order a new pressure switch assembly and internal wire harness for the valvebody. Am I wrong in this line of thinking?

Mike L. or any other trans guru’s, I apologize for the long winded post but any information, suggestions, or advice on my current situation would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading,
Dallas

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Post engine bay pics.. If this is the truck I'm thinking of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
It's more than likely a stuck e shift valve.

dmaxdallas

Bosch Diesel Power
Oct 21, 2015
Clarkston, MI
I'm thinking a shorted wire at Pin # 1 on the Red connector at TCM.

Well I pulled apart the red connector, checked all of the pins and they seem to be seated correctly. Also removed about 5" of loom and electrical tape to trace the wire from pin 1 backwards, didn't see any cuts, crushed sections or chaffing.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Finally figured out where it terminates, there is definitely continuity between the pink wire (pin1) at the red tcm connector and the corresponding pin at the round trans connector. Any ideas mike?

Keep following that circuit to the inside of trans. Check pressure switches with a DVOM to make sure they ground when depressed. Make sure there is a good connection at the solenoids.

dmaxdallas

Bosch Diesel Power
Oct 21, 2015
Clarkston, MI
Keep following that circuit to the inside of trans. Check pressure switches with a DVOM to make sure they ground when depressed. Make sure there is a good connection at the solenoids.

Sounds like pulling the trans pan is next then. Excuse my ignorance here but how do I depress these pressure switches, by hand? These are the switches on the PSM correct? Also, is the pan gasket reusable?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
While I'm in there, how do I test the solenoids to see if they're good?

Ohm test will usually tell you if they are ok, but it doesn't gaurantee they will work ok. Switching the shift solenoids with each other is a better test. If one solenoid is bad, putting it in a different hole will change the code. Testing the PSM can be done with a DVOM hooked up and depressing the little switches with a pencil eraser. You will see the switches open and close. Having a Tech 2 really helps with these kind of tests.

dmaxdallas

Bosch Diesel Power
Oct 21, 2015
Clarkston, MI
Ohm test will usually tell you if they are ok, but it doesn't gaurantee they will work ok. Switching the shift solenoids with each other is a better test. If one solenoid is bad, putting it in a different hole will change the code. Testing the PSM can be done with a DVOM hooked up and depressing the little switches with a pencil eraser. You will see the switches open and close. Having a Tech 2 really helps with these kind of tests.

Thanks for all the info mike! I have a tech 2 at my disposal here as well

dmaxdallas

Bosch Diesel Power
Oct 21, 2015
Clarkston, MI
Well I drained the fluid and pulled the pan last night but ended up running out of free time. Will be tearing into it after work today.

Few questions for you Mike:

What is the torque spec for the pressure switch manifold bolts?

Do you think I should go ahead and remove the valvebody from the truck?

Is there anyway this could be an e shift valve problem?

Before I drained the fluid I tried clearing the p0841 one more time to no avail, also put the truck into Drive to verify the trans is till stuck in 5th, which it definitely is. What would make the trans resort to sticking in 5th gear like that?

I have a multimeter, a tech 2, and a new internal harness, any other tools/equipment you’d suggest? I can borrow things from work if need be.

My plan is to check the A and B trim solenoids for 5-8 ohms of resistance, and the C shift solenoid for 20-30 ohms.

Along with this, verify that the pressure switches each ground when depressed.

I am definitely not a transmission guy here so just going by what I’ve been told, read, or had suggested by someone. Any other diagnostic tests that could help pinpoint exactly what is wrong with the trans?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Dallas if you didn't get it figured out this evening let me know. I don't know anywhere near as much as mike on this. But I have service Info if it will help you any.

dmaxdallas

Bosch Diesel Power
Oct 21, 2015
Clarkston, MI
I want to start off by saying a huge thanks to Mike L. for speaking on the phone with me last night, I am definitely not a trans guy so any amount of guidance helps greatly.

A little update of what I’ve managed to diagnose. Last night I checked all the solenoids for proper resistance across the pins. Everything appeared to be within spec so I swapped them around in their locations to see if the issue would follow a potentially problematic solenoid when it moved. Also replaced the pressure switch manifold and internal harness before putting the pan back on and filling it up.

To my utter disappointment, still have the p0841 and the trans is still stuck in 5th gear, with no reverse. Thinking at this point maybe a stuck valve?

Or are there electrical circuits deeper in the trans?

dmaxdallas

Bosch Diesel Power
Oct 21, 2015
Clarkston, MI
Dallas if you didn't get it figured out this evening let me know. I don't know anywhere near as much as mike on this. But I have service Info if it will help you any.

Thanks, I'm pretty lost here honestly. Hoping its nothing too big