p0777 & p0700 will a solenoid fix it?

jclev2469

Jan 4, 2011
ok, i've got an 08 with mbrp 4", dpf delete, transgo jr, & edge race cts on lvl 1. everything was fine for the first 3500 miles or so, then bam, P0700. took it to the dealership the next day where they replaced the external filter and new fluid at my request. i did a trans relearn & drove off. let it shift at 1/4 throttle 5-6 times, then tried 1/2 throttle. bam again, only this time it added the P0777. took it back to the dealership & they think replacing the solenoid will fix the problem. did a little research on the internet and it seems 95% of the people having these problems all run the edge race evo, so i called them. of course they say it has nothing to do with their programmer. my question is, am i screwed & need to fork out several thousand $$$ for a built trans, or will a simple $100 solenoid make it by for a few thousand more miles? any help is greatly appreciated.

p.s. are there any decent shops in texas that you guys would trust to upgrade one of these trannys?

Last edited:

jclev2469

Jan 4, 2011
after doing a little more reading, i see where he says that. my question is, was it the tune in the edge programmer that caused this, or was it just a matter of time with the extensive list of mods i have? if this transmission can't hold what i'm throwing at it, how do they last with everything stock? i've done 2 rolling start 1/4 mile passes on lvl 3 about a week after ditching the dpf. other than that, it's stayed on lvl 1. the 2011 dmax's have this much power stock, so i'm thinking it's in the tune. if you google "lmm P0777 P0700", almost every single post is somebody with an edge evo. quite frankly, it's pissing me off because i was leaning towards the efi live when a vendor talked me into the edge cts.

seth999

Wheeewwwww!!!
Jul 1, 2009
Corbin,KY
Take the edge off then try it that will tell ya if it's the tuner...if you find shaving or junk in the pan or filter that will tell ya too

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
if this transmission can't hold what i'm throwing at it, how do they last with everything stock?
They seem to last quite well. I have a stock trans with 260,000 miles on it. It had an old-school plug-in Edge box (on level 3) from when it was new in 2003 until 2010 when I put EFILive on it. I've had EFILive ever since, with ~100 - 150 HP tunes.

After that long, I can now limp the trans in 5th, but I can hold full throttle until the end of 4th. So... I'd say your tuning was the problem, or you got a bad trans from the factory (could happen?).

Let us know what you find in the pan, and good luck!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
A lot has to do with how you drive. Beating on a 60 hp tune will hurt the trans. Driving like a ***** on 700 hp will make it live. Some alli's hold more than others. The P0777 is an off going clutch not getting released before the oncoming clutch applies. Sounds like you're beating on it pretty hard. That code doesn't show up on the edge unless you beat it hard. Drop the power and keep your foot out of it. Or, build the trans.:D

jclev2469

Jan 4, 2011
Well, nothing in the pan, nothing in the valve body, clean filter in the pan, new spin on filter. Guess it's time to build her up. Quick question, can I run the stock tune on the edge without the DPF? That's the only way I can lower the tune.

jclev2469

Jan 4, 2011
Oh, & I don't drive the truck hard. I do occasionally do a little "spirited driving", but I'm Definately not hard on the truck. I was driving 55 & started accelerating to 75 when it dropped down a gear & showed the ses light. I had been making service calls all day prior to that.

Atouchofgrass

Jun 19, 2010
CT
Sell the edge while you can and get a nice little tow tune. Never had an edge and never will or build your trans and get efi. :thumb:

jclev2469

Jan 4, 2011
Ok everyone, here's a little insight if you want to delete the dpf & have a transmission survive more than 5000 miles. Stay the hell away from the edge evolution race cs or cts programmers!!! After talking to several of their highly knowledgeable staff today, I finally got to the bottom of my problem. Edge's race version of programmers does NOT de-fuel. So driving around on their lvl 1 tune like you would with a stock truck will in fact cost you several thousand dollars. Thanks edge products for allowing me to learn yet another lesson the hard way by not stating this fact on your product!!!

08txlmm

Mar 28, 2010
Lubbock
Does this include the old edge evo race? As in the pre CS or CTS? My brother ran about 10k miles on the old evo race tow tune(level 2) and never had any tranny problems. He did complain about the shifting a lot but recently upgraded to EFI

jclev2469

Jan 4, 2011
Hey, I see you're in Lubbock which is only an hour away from me. Do you know of any transmission shops there that work on these? The guy at edge only said the race versions don't de-fuel. Don't know if that includes the old ones.

08txlmm

Mar 28, 2010
Lubbock
No I don't know of any shops around here that will do anything to a duramax or allison. I think there are a few shops around the fort worth area but I don't have any experience with any of them. If you find a good tranny shop let me know cause I'd like to know of one for when I do mine

Last edited:

Atouchofgrass

Jun 19, 2010
CT
If you don't mind taking a trip too florida suncoast can throw a nice trans in there for you. If not, take out your current tranny and send it too mike L.