P0700 & P1720 codes

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
Hi Mike, I have just upped the power in my 01 Dmax with twins. I have your SC IV. I had the truck at home and had checked the fluid and changed the tranny filter. The fluid was clean. Then then took the truck back to the shop the next day for some minor adjustments. The shop advised me that when they had started the truck cold in the morning there was a humming noise coming from the Tranny area. I drove the truck home appox 60 miles and just before getting home the tranny jumped into neutral and then into limp mode. I know the P0700 doesn't tell anything but I pulled off the tranny filter. The fluid was dirty with very small bits of metal inside. I cleared the codes and drove it for approx 5 miles before it did the same thing. The shop where the twins were installed is reputable and I have no problem with them. I think this may mean a new tranny. Let me know your thoughts. The truck is dynoed on the high tune to 742 RWHP. :confused:

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
The other code that I see is a P1720-- Trim Solenoid "A" Controlled Clutch Not Engaged. Maybe that will help.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Time to hook up a Tech 2 and check speed sensors for drop outs or irregular readings. I would check the tone wheel in the transfer case for looseness. I would also check wiring harnesses at the TCM and at the main connecter at back of trans.

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
Time to hook up a Tech 2 and check speed sensors for drop outs or irregular readings. I would check the tone wheel in the transfer case for looseness. I would also check wiring harnesses at the TCM and at the main connecter at back of trans.
Thanks Mike...will have that done.

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
Well found that there was a lot of clutch mgterial in the filter. Ended up dropping the tranny and the C3 clutch was trashed. Just wondering if thst is a common failure. I am no expert in trannys but from what I understand, the Suncoast clutches are harder then others and can cause C3 clutch wearing . Going to replace all the clutches, but different make of clutch in C3, different torque converter, billet ATS flex plate.
Mike L could you maybr give me some advise on this.
Photos are not the greatest but you can see them at:

http://s746.photobucket.com/albums/xx104/Catmenace/LB7 Allison Transmission/

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Well found that there was a lot of clutch mgterial in the filter. Ended up dropping the tranny and the C3 clutch was trashed. Just wondering if thst is a common failure. I am no expert in trannys but from what I understand, the Suncoast clutches are harder then others and can cause C3 clutch wearing . Going to replace all the clutches, but different make of clutch in C3, different torque converter, billet ATS flex plate.
Mike L could you maybr give me some advise on this.
Photos are not the greatest but you can see them at:

http://s746.photobucket.com/albums/xx104/Catmenace/LB7 Allison Transmission/

Looks like delamination on the C3 clutches. Call me.

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
Mike L - Tried to call you. Just a little info on what I am now doing:
The trans is being built with all alto clutches (like suncoast) with the exception of the C2 clutch pack (not C3). The C2 pack is not trashed but it is glazed over pretty badly. The reason for the switch on the C2 pack is to prevent glazing with the HP i now have. The Raybestos clutch pack is not as hard as the alto pack therefore it shouldn't glaze over as easily. I am installking a custom built TCS converter unit and a billet ATS flexplate.

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
Talked to Mike on this and he confirms a defect and delamination of C3. Has anyone else had this problem? The SC IV may have 30,000 miles since rebuild and was not abused or raced. Bear in mind that I just upgraded to twins and the only running with the new twins was on the dyno and street testing.