P009E code on LMM

camcojb

Dec 10, 2007
P009E = fuel rail pressure relief valve performance. I get this code on one of my tunes where the fp is perfect, and it holds my 3200 pulsewidth perfectly. When it sets this code it goes to reduced power mode. Will set it every time I go wot with this tune.

What causes this? Will a frpv shim kit solve it? And how hard is it to install on an LMM (can't find a single thread where one was installed on this truck)?

Jody

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
I shimmed my rail, was getting this on my truck too, but only at the end of a run when my rail pressure would spike to 28,000-29,000. Haven't seen the code since. It was pretty easy I would say to do it. Just disconnect the glow plug controller and remove it, look for a bolt head at the end of the driver's side rail, use a good 18mm(IIRC) wrench and have at it. It's was pretty tight, so becareful not to round it off.

camcojb

Dec 10, 2007
I shimmed my rail, was getting this on my truck too, but only at the end of a run when my rail pressure would spike to 28,000-29,000. Haven't seen the code since. It was pretty easy I would say to do it. Just disconnect the glow plug controller and remove it, look for a bolt head at the end of the driver's side rail, use a good 18mm(IIRC) wrench and have at it. It's was pretty tight, so becareful not to round it off.

thanks!

Jody

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I have the plug and I have been getting this one lately as well. Any idea's anyone?? It's weird though- I will be travelling down the highway at normal speeds, and then come to a stop sign. When I start to go again, easing into the throttle-not matting it, it goes into reduced power mode and throws on the CEL. What gives?? I am getting a service done as we speak and a new fuel filter as well so we will see if that had something to do with it.

This is with a slightly changed McRat 50hp tune.

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Just got it tonite being naughty on the street with a 425 est. hp tune.... at WOT but Ive wotted this tune before and didnt get it. I was in manual shift mode and (inadvertantly) went to about 4k in 2nd tho and definately overrevved and thats where it did it I think. Still, Id like to fix this for when Im higher HP - people getting the valve for the LBZs from PPE?

Jody did you order one yet? Think this will solve the problem? Surprising Im getting it even without a lift pump - these CP3s are pushing hard!

camcojb

Dec 10, 2007
Just got it tonite being naughty on the street with a 425 est. hp tune.... at WOT but Ive wotted this tune before and didnt get it. I was in manual shift mode and (inadvertantly) went to about 4k in 2nd tho and definately overrevved and thats where it did it I think. Still, Id like to fix this for when Im higher HP - people getting the valve for the LBZs from PPE?

Jody did you order one yet? Think this will solve the problem? Surprising Im getting it even without a lift pump - these CP3s are pushing hard!

I ordered the shim kit, should be here tomorrow. I'm installing a Snow Stage II water injection kit now.

Mine used to get this code before the lift pump also; never could figure out why, as none of the logs show fuel pressure issues, high or low. Hoping the shim kit fixes it. Never does it on my current tune, unless I try to shut off the pilot with 3200 US pulse width; then it sets every time.

Jody

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I got my valve(all it is is a plug really) from McRat I think. Can't remember-it was many moons ago.

camcojb

Dec 10, 2007
I got my valve(all it is is a plug really) from McRat I think. Can't remember-it was many moons ago.

I was going to order the race valve which plugs the bypass fuel off the rail. Because of that PPE didn't want to sell it to me on a street truck, as they say it's hard on the cp3, as the pressure is all against the pump, never bypasses.

Jody

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I think I payed about $50 IIRC for the PPE Plug. No problems with my CP3 yet, and it's no different than putting 3 shims in a FPRV anyhow-you will probably NEVER overcome that spring tension. Injectors are a little louder at idle but that was the only difference I found and you can tune that out anyhow if you wanted.

camcojb

Dec 10, 2007
I think I payed about $50 IIRC for the PPE Plug. No problems with my CP3 yet, and it's no different than putting 3 shims in a FPRV anyhow-you will probably NEVER overcome that spring tension. Injectors are a little louder at idle but that was the only difference I found and you can tune that out anyhow if you wanted.

I thought the stock regulator bypassed all the time, or at least at max pressure, not just when it hits too high of a pressure. Of course, that's how the gas engine stuff works, so it could be the opposite on the diesels.

PPE claims the race valve won't bypass at all because it plugs the return line, but the shim kit will still bypass. Do you have to run all the shims, are there any instructions as to how many or what combo to use with the kit? Is my pressure going to rise with the shims at wot?

Jody

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
The FPRV only opens when it's max pressure setting is exceeded. It DOES NOT flow fuel all the time. It is only a safety thing to keep from blowing sht up. The CP3 is a pressure compensating pump meaning it only pumps the volume required to maintain whatever the pressure it is being asked to supply. So if you only want 140 MPA, the pump will only put out enough to maintain that 140 MPA.
There is a fuel circuit that returns to the tank for cooling the CP3 and the FICM but it is only low pressure. After fuel gets through the pump on the High Pressure side, IIRC it has nowhere else to go except out the injectors when the FPRV is replaced with a plug. My explanation is hard to get out of my head and onto the keyboard so forgive me. There was a drawing of the fuel system on the LLY which is identical to ours I believe floating around that gives a good idea of how the flow works.

IMHO, buy the plug.

camcojb

Dec 10, 2007
The FPRV only opens when it's max pressure setting is exceeded. It DOES NOT flow fuel all the time. It is only a safety thing to keep from blowing sht up. The CP3 is a pressure compensating pump meaning it only pumps the volume required to maintain whatever the pressure it is being asked to supply. So if you only want 140 MPA, the pump will only put out enough to maintain that 140 MPA.
There is a fuel circuit that returns to the tank for cooling the CP3 and the FICM but it is only low pressure. After fuel gets through the pump on the High Pressure side, IIRC it has nowhere else to go except out the injectors when the FPRV is replaced with a plug. My explanation is hard to get out of my head and onto the keyboard so forgive me. There was a drawing of the fuel system on the LLY which is identical to ours I believe floating around that gives a good idea of how the flow works.

IMHO, buy the plug.

he wouldn't sell it to me.. Didn't refuse, but came damn close. This code confuses me though, as it seems the regulator must have lost control of the pressure somewhere to set it, yet it never exceeded the 26107 psi(180MPa). I would expect to see a pressure spike.

Jody

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Is there some sort of a difference between the LMM and LLY/LBZ that I don't know about?? Why would it matter race or street? In the end it IS harder on the pump and the injectors because pressure spikes have nowhere to go, but IMO the plug is no worse than the shim kit.

Anyone else got any input here??

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
P009E = fuel rail pressure relief valve performance. I get this code on one of my tunes where the fp is perfect, and it holds my 3200 pulsewidth perfectly. When it sets this code it goes to reduced power mode. Will set it every time I go wot with this tune.

What causes this? Will a frpv shim kit solve it? And how hard is it to install on an LMM (can't find a single thread where one was installed on this truck)?

Jody

Are you sure that it is relief valve or regulator valve?

camcojb

Dec 10, 2007
Are you sure that it is relief valve or regulator valve?

don't know, just going by what the code says. The shim kit showed today but needed a sig; I was gone, wife didn't answer the door for some reason, so I'll do it Monday.

Jody

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Ah bummer. Ill wait til our fearless LMM leader gets his install taken care of on Monday and see what happens :D . Are you going to try running the tune you got the code with and see if this stops the problem?

camcojb

Dec 10, 2007
Ah bummer. Ill wait til our fearless LMM leader gets his install taken care of on Monday and see what happens :D . Are you going to try running the tune you got the code with and see if this stops the problem?

I'll post back on Monday. I will immediately run and log the tune that was setting the code and see what happens.

Jody

Last edited: