Oval Chamber Pistons

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
What's the difference or (main flaw) I guess in arias oval bowl? I broke a mahle race cast this season and am in the market for a new set

I don't know why the imitation was made. They do not incorporate the elliptical curves in three dimensions that were used in my design to distribute the forces away from the wrist pin and direct the combustion forces. The oval in the Arias that I look at is flat bottomed. Not unlike their round bowls. The improvement, if any, is marginal. However, I have not put a lot of time into analyzing it.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I don't know why the imitation was made. They do not incorporate the elliptical curves in three dimensions that were used in my design to distribute the forces away from the wrist pin and direct the combustion forces. The oval in the Arias that I look at is flat bottomed. Not unlike their round bowls. The improvement, if any, is marginal. However, I have not put a lot of time into analyzing it.

Gotcha.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Pistons

Mark I have to call you out on someone hurting a set of Arias pistons. Fingers pistons have there place and seem to work great. I have another RG truck that I think I'm going to build a little for my son and it will probably get Fingers pistons. They seem to work well in a driver and that's what it will be. I'm not sure why Arias made the oval piston and there is no need for it from them. I'm going to guess someone thought they would be better and had them make them and they did. This industry is full of people that like to copy others and that is really a shame.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Mark I have to call you out on someone hurting a set of Arias pistons. Fingers pistons have there place and seem to work great. I have another RG truck that I think I'm going to build a little for my son and it will probably get Fingers pistons. They seem to work well in a driver and that's what it will be. I'm not sure why Arias made the oval piston and there is no need for it from them. I'm going to guess someone thought they would be better and had them make them and they did. This industry is full of people that like to copy others and that is really a shame.

Sorry Jeff, I didn't name brands just said that forged Pistons have been broken. I haven't seen an Arias piston broke personally but you are one of only a few people I know that runs them. I've only seen Mahle forged broken and a bunch of guys breaking race cast Mahle pistons.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Some pics from the tear down:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And the pistons:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• driver bank.jpg
    driver bank.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 370
  • passenger rear.jpg
    passenger rear.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 365
  • passenger bank 2.jpg
    passenger bank 2.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 369
  • passenger bank2.jpg
    passenger bank2.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 367
  • piston1.jpg
    piston1.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 367
  • piston2.jpg
    piston2.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 365
  • piston3.jpg
    piston3.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 360
  • piston4.jpg
    piston4.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 361

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Whoa....valves hitting in a few spots? Whats the deal with the pitting?

I don't think those marks were from valves... I'll get some pictures of how they look after I cleaned them up a bit with brake cleaner. Those circles are injector spray I believe.

The white/yellow stuff is like some weird salt-like crystals. No pitting; it's on top of the carbon. Overall they're in very good shape I think.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Marks are flash from the injectors. Either big timimg and pulse or not so good of nozzles. The residue is moisture. Maybe attempting to lift a head or leakage some kinda way.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Marks are flash from the injectors. Either big timimg and pulse or not so good of nozzles. The residue is moisture. Maybe attempting to lift a head or leakage some kinda way.

Nozzles are 125% over done by Exergy. No timing over 30 degrees if I recall correctly, maybe even less.

Curious as to why only some have the moisture residue. Truck only sat for a few days between when the crank snapped and when I tore this down.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

Thanks Shane. I have never seen injector markings like that, thats why I was worried. But why dont they show on all the pistons? The one in front is so much different.
On the bright side, looks like Jon's pistons are doing fine at 1000rw. :)

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I've seen that "salt deposit" looking corrosion before.... It happens on yamaha outboard exhaust jackets. Can't be what's happening here tho. I'm curious as to your finding on that.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Thanks Shane. I have never seen injector markings like that, thats why I was worried. But why dont they show on all the pistons? The one in front is so much different.
On the bright side, looks like Jon's pistons are doing fine at 1000rw. :)
Normally a nozzle is spraying a little weird and causes different patterns on the pistons. While I had it apart I would have them checked out to make sure it all good.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Available from:

Adrenaline Performance
Advanced Motorsports Technology / Socal
Blackout Performance
Calibrated Power Solutions
Dans Diesel Perfomance
Danville Performance