Oscilloscope Basics -

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I'm certainly no expert, but I found you need an oscope to "see" what our engine is doing.

I had a little background using these to calibrate reader heads on CMM's, but this stuff is a bit different.

An oscope is a device that lets you see pulses of electricity, like injectors firing, or cylinder pressure testing sensors. They normally have 2 or more "channels", which are different signals from different sources. Most stuff we do can be done with 1 or 2 channels. But other things look better with more channels.

The signals we look at coming from our engine are mostly 0-14.5 volts. Perhaps the injectors fire at higher voltages, but we don't have to look at them, since the signal that trips them is 0-5v.

Left to Right:

Old school 2 channel Oscope. Heavy. Powered by 120v AC. Can be found cheap sometimes. Requires "leads".

Handheld "Multiscope", is a 2-ch Oscope. More of a PITA to adjust settings. Runs off batteries and can collect data for future use.

USB Oscope is a 2-CH Oscope. Cheap, requires a PC and "leads". Can store data.

USB Data Acquistion module is a 6 channel Oscope. Cheap, can only "see" up to 10v. Requires a PC and can store data.

Leads - Classical Oscopes require leads. Normally not included. You need to shop around to find cheap ones, some are $1000, but you want the $15 ones.

Attachments

• osold.JPG
    osold.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 17
  • oshandheld.JPG
    oshandheld.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 11
  • osusb.JPG
    osusb.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 8
  • osdata.JPG
    osdata.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 9
  • oslead.JPG
    oslead.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 11

Cobra#3747

Jan 2, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I remember when the hand held fluke came out. I recall being told that it really was not anywhere as good as using the old school unit as for reading and actually capturing true and acurate information.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
How high of a sampling rate is enough?

They make a pen style and I wonder if this would be good enough for playing around with?
PICO TECHNOLOGY
PICOSCOPE 2104

http://www.newark.com/02M0837/test-...O-TECHNOLOGY-PICOSCOPE-2104&_requestid=265502

Thanks for the write up Pat

To capture information every 1 deg of crank rotation to 5000 rpm should be plenty. So 5000/60 gives revs/sec then times 360 gives "sample rate", or Hz needed = 30,000Hz or 30kHz.

Oscilloscopes are normally measured in MHz now, or millions of samples per second.

The one on the left is 20Mhz, which is the fastest I have, and the slowest is the Data Acquistion module with is 150,000, or 150kHz.

That pen device is VERY cool, but you might want 2 channels to get TDC + Data, or trigger + data. The second channel can be used to "time", aka Trigger the data so it freezes where you want. The speed is PLENTY fast for what we want.

So we have plenty of overkill with any of these kinds of devices for diesel work.

I will continue to add to this thread as I get time. Not sure if I should add at the first post, or as new posts.

Last edited: