Opinions wanted

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
Would it be better to get a top line video card or 2 good ones and tie them together? I'm leaning towards 2 good cards that can tie together. They would be about the same cost as the top line but if I'm reading right I'll have WAY more processing power. I'm also planning on doing some stuff with HD video so GPU power would probably help there also.

I've never given much thought to video cards in the past. The games I've played in the past never required anything special so I didn't worry about it.

smarquis

Triple Turbo LBZ
Jul 15, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada.
Been a few years since I worked with video cards, but I was very disappointed when I tied two cards together. Almost no performance gain at all that I could see. I would go with the better card.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
If I understand it right, FAH doesn't do SLI or CrossfireX.

People run up to 4 cards, (ouch!) but they need to run 1 client for each, and there are instructions under GUIDES on the FAH website how to run more than one client.

It seems that the kind of math they do is slower in SLI than with individual cards.

However, for SuperGaming, here's what I've read:

You need a mobo that has SLI support, a 750w or bigger powersupply, mobo needs 2 "x16" PCI Expresses slots, and lots of air cooling. Most the "big" cards take up 2 slots, and there should be some airspace between cards, so 3 slots per card.

But I'm certainly no expert.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Rob, I read where FAH performs better with cards which have higher shading. I had plans to get an ATI card but after reading I decided an NVIDIA card was best for me.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Right now I'm leaning towards the GTX 480. A bit pricey but I normally use hardware for a long time unless it fries on me. Good to know the NVIDIA is a good choice.

I wish I could have grabbed a gtx480 but my wife did the shopping and the 460 was all she could find. Should have done the internet buy but had the time to do the install so we bought local. From what I have read, you will love the 480. Particularly if you do the overclocking. I was going to do the overclocking to my 460 but just don't have the time. Also, the factory smoke thing.:eek:

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I prob wouldn't do any overclocking if you have a small case....the temps that it will get to I'm sure will be insane. Just get some software that lets you keep an eye on the temps and you should be fine.

Unless you watercool it.

I have an amazing case...its a server case but designed for gaming. 2 large fans up top....one on back....one cooling the power supplies (2)....and a giant 200-220mm one on the side.

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
Trying to decide between a mid or full tower. I did find a mid with 2 fans in front, 1 on top and 1 in back. And it has an opening on the side that I think I could put another fan in. I'd like to stay away from water cooling. Just don't want deal with it and my luck I'd spring a leak and that would be it.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
look at the antec gaming ones....

I have the P190 +1200......superb case but I'm pretty sure they dont make it anymore.

Came with 650 and 550 power supply already in it.