Opinions on these ideas?

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Spectators hate watching slow trucks so every option is pretty much out. Maybe a VGT class, stock turbo, 75mm turbo. But then how many people would compete in those classes.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Spectators hate watching slow trucks so every option is pretty much out. Maybe a VGT class, stock turbo, 75mm turbo. But then how many people would compete in those classes.

If it wasn't bracket then I would. I think as far as racers you would get a few just because I think bracket racing confuses most people who would Normally do a normal all out race. I don't think trucks racing in a "work/stock" class would be any slower than a fast truck dialing a slow dial time to stay consistent. All the trucks I seen at Madison were running low 12s high 11s.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Not allowing the proper safety equipment for the times the trucks would be capable of running and expecting a track to risk people's safety and the financial risk they'd put themselves in something ever happened makes zero sense. There are plenty of crew cabs even these days capable of effortless 10 second passes in street trim.

Exactly.

Not everyone wants to put even the least amount of safety junk in their trucks, I don't get it.

As far as the racing part... kinda torn. The 10.90 class was PERFECT for the guy who ran 10's but couldn't compete with the big shop trucks. its pretty much non existent now.

IMHO, the NHRDA has reached the height of their racing. Every race, randy has said they need the spectators to be included racing, or even doing test and tune, yet time and time again, it's the same 50 truck field.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you guys realize the whole point of this thread and the one on comp d is to offer a different event. Doesnt have to do with NHRDA and is about getting some drag racing between pro street/super street on a closer level of power two each other as well as weight.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Not allowing the proper safety equipment for the times the trucks would be capable of running and expecting a track to risk people's safety and the financial risk they'd put themselves in something ever happened makes zero sense. There are plenty of crew cabs even these days capable of effortless 10 second passes in street trim.

There are 53 trucks in the 10.99 list that are 10.91 and slower. To me that doesn't constitute plenty and those are not the normal Joe that is looking for a fun and different class to run in. I said no cages from the standpoint of those trucks are being built mainly for competition and not driving around everyday. There are plenty of quick trucks out there that really don't have much of a chance at a event because they are not there for competition only. We can always find something to differ on but I do believe that this sport will never mature and grow like gas racing because of those differences and people not willing to do something out if the norm to draw guy's into the sport. If you need a additional class for guys with cages then do that but then again that is not the everyday Joe. Bracket racing just doesn't have the draw to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Nobody likes bracket racing because nobody can drive. .5 reactions and they can't run their time :roflmao:

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I don't see a problem with a cage or anything like that as long it's above the minimum weight. Throw a charger and tire restriction on the classes and go.

2 times a month at Madison gateway motorsports park, they have a midnight madness. On Friday it's just run what you brung, no payout just to keep people from street racing. 25 bucks for a tech card. Even with no payout and the chance you will get smoked by a 9 second car it's always packed tight with racers. 20 second civics to 9 second cars. It's a blast to go down there and just run all out and have fun. I know alot of diesels that go to this and won't go to the same track at a diesel event because it's bracket style racing.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
If you'd take our FPP 2.5 turbo rules and apply them to this class that'd be sweet. Dot tire. Weight reduction/limit. Somebody more computer smart will have to post the turbo rules if anybody cares.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I think there should be 2 classes, one for street trucks and one for race trucks. I believe the point of this was to try to get a lot of the retired trucks back into the game, as well as making it alot less costly, so more people would be able to race without a big sponsor/shop backing you up.
So street/worktruck class-must have AC, Full body, street tires, no cage and for AIR a S366 and smaller or a modded stock turbo. This set of rules would allow for a wider range of trucks that are still very street able, but cheap enough to get into that someone that does want to race can be competitive or easy enough that someone can step down from a big single or twins.
Race truck class- weight limit 5500 pounds, a box stock turbo(pick one Garrett and a Borg Warner that are close match in spec so that more than one turbo company can sponsor), water injection allowed if no intercooler is present.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I think people are dreaming if they think the class will be affordable for very long. They're talking about $25K being on the line. People will spend pockets full of money to compete for that prize money. There were some pretty "radical" builds (at that time anyway) built specifically for that "2.6" race they talked about being such a big success over on CompD. If it's competitive motorsports for money, you can bet someone will spend plenty money and it'll eventually show in the ET. Its always been that way in every other motorsport, what makes people think they can write rules to stop money from being a factor this time? I say they can't. I sure hope they prove me wrong.

All that said, I do like that box charger that was suggested over on CompD. That charger specs out nicely and should support over 1000rwhp on a good build. Maybe closer to 1200 on an all out build.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You're exactly right, Mitch. The way I see it, people that want to race, will already be racing. You aren't going to attract new competitors by having some crazy new event with a big payout. There's always the experience factor, and when it comes down to spending real money to take a shot at potential money, most people will realize that they are out of their element and will decide against spending the money they have.

I think bracket racing is by far the best way to get into drag racing. It teaches you the basics on how to stage, how to leave, and how to learn from your vehicle and be consistent with how you drive it. Those are things that carry over to all forms of drag racing, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone wouldn't like it as a participant. It allows everyone to be competitive. Sure, it might be boring to watch, but as a competitor, it is a great way to get into the sport. Some of the most fun I've ever had at a the drag strip was when I was still living in Idaho; Firebird had a club series event that allowed teams to bracket race for points and an eventual club championship at the end of the year.

Anyway, I know that's a little off topic, but I just don't see how any of this is going to grow diesel drag racing.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I think people are dreaming if they think the class will be affordable for very long. They're talking about $25K being on the line. People will spend pockets full of money to compete for that prize money. There were some pretty "radical" builds (at that time anyway) built specifically for that "2.6" race they talked about being such a big success over on CompD. If it's competitive motorsports for money, you can bet someone will spend plenty money and it'll eventually show in the ET. Its always been that way in every other motorsport, what makes people think they can write rules to stop money from being a factor this time? I say they can't. I sure hope they prove me wrong.

All that said, I do like that box charger that was suggested over on CompD. That charger specs out nicely and should support over 1000rwhp on a good build. Maybe closer to 1200 on an all out build.

if they limit the charger with something "box stock", your going to get real limited on trickery to make the truck have an edge. its going to be a very smokey event as well cause everyone will be driving the shit out of that little 475 with fuel lol. id bet you see higher compression motor and some other little tweaks to get every bit out of it you can. honestly, for the first couple years it would be cool to see both pro street and super street going at it like this. i would bet there would be some good drag racing till someone figures out a loop hole.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
People will start spending their money on heads, cams, and exhaust parts for the motor and chassis parts to help with traction. If you limit one area, they will just take that money and spend it somewhere else. You aren't going to stop people from spending money.

Look at sled pulling with all their turbo rules. Nobody ever said, "I'm gonna start sled pulling because it is so cheap. I can only spend xxx money on a turbo because it is limited."

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
People will start spending their money on heads, cams, and exhaust parts for the motor and chassis parts to help with traction. If you limit one area, they will just take that money and spend it somewhere else. You aren't going to stop people from spending money.

Look at sled pulling with all their turbo rules. Nobody ever said, "I'm gonna start sled pulling because it is so cheap. I can only spend xxx money on a turbo because it is limited."

On the bright side of things with people trying to find that edge you have progression that crosses over to every aspect of the high performance market.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
If they make the rules such that the likes of Milliken, Lavon, Jackson, and the hottest SS trucks are able to bolt on the spec charger, make weight & they're in, you can forget any new or old trucks coming back out bc I'd put money on one of those guys taking the $25K like its clock work. No one wants to compete against those already-fast seasoned guys.

so whatever the rules are, its gotta be so tame those kinds of trucks can't come play or this fantasy race will do nothing for growing the sport except 1 guys wallet. :thumb:

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I don't think anyone expect this setup to be cheap ??? Let's not forget that most of the guys mentioned and going to run would already have some of the top flowing heads, coolers, and designs already done to make their trucks run like they already do. The point was to combine two classes and create more "drag racing", I very well can see it.

I feel like some of you think those guys are just unbeatable. They got deep pockets but they are still human. They are also teams with bright minds on board. It certainly isn't scaring off any of the "newbs" from AZ.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Agreed. Not supposed to be cheap, just a power equalizer and average weight a reg cab street truck could get down to.

Only thing "cheap" is the Borg 179176 box turbo.

I think most people here are missing the point of this race.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Agreed. Not supposed to be cheap, just a power equalizer and average weight a reg cab street truck could get down to.

Only thing "cheap" is the Borg 179176 box turbo.

I think most people here are missing the point of this race.

How about a ebay Chinese turbo class:D

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
I thought this race was about getting more people out on the race track like putting something on for the average guys hot street truck/play toy after all they are the one at the end of the day that spends/buys more parts out of there own pocket then i would think over any of them and is what keeps some of these ''race'' trucks funded so why not give that guy a shot at some good money for once