Oil pressure sending unit

shiggs68

Jul 15, 2015
Not sure where to post this question.

I have a 2012 Silverado 3500 Duramax 6.6. In the last couple days, the oil pressure gauge is pegged. Today, it intermittently when to zero, normal, then pegged several times.

I'm assuming it is bad connections on the sender or a bad sender. However, I have looked everywhere in the engine compartment and can not see what looks like a sender. I didn't get under it.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Where is it and am I making the right assumptions.

Thanks. Steve

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
When it dropped to 0 did you get a low oil pressure light or warning? Been a while but if memory serves the oil pressure sensor is on the bottom left of the engine block. Just above the upper oil pan to block joint. Maybe the sensor failed Ford style and the plug/pigtail is full of oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

shiggs68

Jul 15, 2015
When it dropped to 0 did you get a low oil pressure light or warning? Been a while but if memory serves the oil pressure sensor is on the bottom left of the engine block. Just above the upper oil pan to block joint. Maybe the sensor failed Ford style and the plug/pigtail is full of oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Yes, each time it dropped to zero, I got the ding, ding and the warning on the dash.

Hopefully, it was false as there was no noticeable engine signs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shiggs68

Jul 15, 2015
Just to close this, I took it to a dealer and yes it was a bad sender. But still could not find it myself and till don't know where. But it's fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk