Oil pressure gauge problem??

150operator

Feb 15, 2014
glendale heights Illinois
I have a 2005 lly with 175k miles banks 6 gun, exhaust, intake, IQ and running a CAT fuel filter.

Normally my oil pressure would read 30psi at idle when warmed up and then around 60ish when driving. About a week ago it started reading just below 120psi and it only moves when I shut the truck off or every now and then it will do a little dance and bounce around between 30 and 120 for a few seconds then go back to 120. I just changed the oil and have only been using rotella 15w40 and Fram oil filter. Oil levels are on the full line.
Does this sound like a gauge problem, a oil pressure sensor problem or a legit oil pump problem?
Thanks for the help in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Most likely a bad stepper motor in the gauge cluster.Fill out your sig so we have info on your truck,what mods if any and where your from so we may help if we are close.

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
If you can get someone to data log it with a V2 or another scan tool see what oil pressure the ecm is really seeing. Every time I've seen this it has been the stepper motor.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
you can do a sweep on the cluster witha tech 2, my guess is the sender.

05 doesn't use a sender, it uses an oil pressure sensor. 01-02 used an old style oil pressure sending unit that used 1 wire. The 03+ trucks use a 3 wire oil pressure sensor that sends an oil pressure reading to the ECM, and it sends out the oil pressure reading over the data bus where the cluster picks it up and tells the stepper where to put the needle at. 01-02 had a direct wire from the sender to the gauge. If it was an 01-02 I woudl say sender, but with the repuatation of the 03-05 clusters, it is most likely a stepper motor. A simple check with a TECH 2, V2, or some other high end scanner will tell you really quickly what is going on.

150operator

Feb 15, 2014
glendale heights Illinois
If it is the stepper motor do I have to replace the whole gauge cluster or can I just replace the stepper motor?

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4door 4x4 banks 6 gun with speed loader, banks intake and exhaust, IQ and CAT fuel filter

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
If it is the stepper motor do I have to replace the whole gauge cluster or can I just replace the stepper motor?

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4door 4x4 banks 6 gun with speed loader, banks intake and exhaust, IQ and CAT fuel filter

Stepper motors can be replaced without having to replace the whole cluster. I'm not sure how much there is to it. I have a buddy that always does that part of the job for me.

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
... just changed the oil and have only been using rotella 15w40 and Fram oil filter...
There's a reason Fram is cheap... They are a JUNK filter. Not likely related to the probable gauge cluster issue however. Still... do your DMax a favor and use a decent filter, AC2232 or Wix, M1, etc.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
If you can operate a soldering iron you can install new steppers. Just take your time and be careful pulling the cluster apart. I had to do 3 of mine when I got my truck. Need to do the rest but they work most of the time. Someone told me there are good YouTube videos showing how to

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk