Oil Dip Stick

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I suppose when my engine was pulled to replace the cracked rear cover & alli bellhousing, the installer pinched the dip stick tube? Now the dip stick won't go all the way in. So, I have a couple questions...

1) can the tube be removed? Does it just pull out like the trans dip stick tube?
2) if it can be removed, can it be removed with engine in the truck?
3) where to get a new one?

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Is it hanging up on the ball or cross hatch section ? If its the ball you can grind it smaller and it will slip in again, if it needs to be replace it just slips out ( kinda stiff though ) but the engine mount and manifold has to be removed :(

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
seems to be a lot of dipstick problems on this forum today:rofl:

x2 with what the other guys said, whoever engineered that thing sure made it not nice to get out.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
If it is a small bend you can sometimes just gently apply a set of vice grips and massage the bend back into place, Depends how bad of a crease/bend it has..

dearthr

Mobile Chernobyl
Apr 12, 2010
They are a pain in the rear to pull without pulling the oil pan, but it can be done. I have a spare if you need one...
Good luck...

Thanks,
Robb

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
when I installed my 4500 manifold I didnt bend the tube or nothing and my dipstick will only come out about half way now
You probably pinched the tube down. The 4500 manifold isn't designed to have the dipstick tube go between the manifold and the head. One guy on here said his cleared, but when I installed them on my motor, I had to reroute the dipstick tube around the outside of the manifold.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
They are a pain in the rear to pull without pulling the oil pan, but it can be done. I have a spare if you need one...
Good luck...

Thanks,
Robb

Let me know what you want for it.

Figures this would be a pain in my ass. I'll inspect closer to see if I can a see substantial crease. If not, that little ball is going bye bye. It goes about 7/8 of the way in so I figure it's that bend past mount that's fubarred.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I still can't see where this bastage is bent... I'm gonna try and see if I can get a piece of wire to go in to see just how pinched it might be...