Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Talk with Blaine at Cenpeco, the 15w40 will be fine for both conditions per whats hes told me. Good guy to chat with and very knowledgeable. hes who im working with using the racing oil under DD conditions to see how it stands up.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Talk with Blaine at Cenpeco, the 15w40 will be fine for both conditions per whats hes told me. Good guy to chat with and very knowledgeable. hes who im working with using the racing oil under DD conditions to see how it stands up.

Sounds good! I've delt with Blaine quite a bit in regards to trans fluids and viscosity etc. I know the S3 has the highest TBN that I've seen besides one or two other companies (I think Amsoil's Heavy Duty Diesel Marine is slightly higher) as well as having an insane additive package.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
You trolling? LOL

Scroll up in this thread, a couple members already did it. They share the parts needed and the results.

Haha no, just very new to the party. I mainly browse on my phone, so it’s a lot of work to get caught up on a thread as big as this.

I’m even late to looking into the L5P, the new stuff usually doesn’t interest me. But I didn’t realize nearly everything is different other than cylinder bore spacing and displacement.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

James, do you recall what the OD of your threaded adapter is that secures your sandwich plate? Any chance you could be convinced to make another?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
not a damn clue. They can all vary based on mfg im sure.

honestly, they are not simple to cut up and i have WAY more time into it than i care for. Not something ill make more of.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Dumb question, but what is stopping us from machining this piece? Arguably much easier to make (no internal threads) and would allow us to not have to worry about wall thickness concerns with adapters.

I don't have my cooler yet but if I am going to have something machined I think it would be easier to have this done VS an oil sandwich plate adapter (IF IT CAN BE CHANGED).

Attachments

• oil_filter_nipple.jpg
    oil_filter_nipple.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 104

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
you can change it but its still threaded in with metric threads.

Right, the difference there would be male-to-male threads which would also allow for a uniform wall thickness. In my case, the wall thickness at the major diameter of the internal thread (oil cooler side of the sandwich plate adapter) becomes pretty thin.

It also opens up a lot more local machine houses that don't have as good of equipment. If I had a manual lathe I could probably knock it out being male-to-male.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I couldnt make that part as i dont have metric gears for my lathe to cut the 1.5mm pitch. i only have standard. Thats another consideration when taking it somewhere.

inner threads were easy for the adapter as i just bought a tap for the size.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I couldnt make that part as i dont have metric gears for my lathe to cut the 1.5mm pitch. i only have standard. Thats another consideration when taking it somewhere.

inner threads were easy for the adapter as i just bought a tap for the size.

I figure I could do the same with an external die vs an internal bottoming tap if needed. Either way, with the way my adapter is I know I will receive a stronger part by replacing the oil nipple vs the sandwich plate adapter.

I will be having ~5-10 made for the 2020 cooler that will take the 01-19 filter (13/16-16 unc). Currently 4 are spoken for. I'm not trying to sell these for a profit, but if people would like some I can definitely put you on the list if this swap is something you're looking to do. The intent is to use an Earls double o-ring sandwich plate. The reason I bring up making 5-10 is to reduce the per-part costs.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
As an update, I received my cooler from Summit Racing this past week. I went with Derale PN 65861 which is equipped with a 9" SPAL puller fan. I'm planning on mounting this near the fuel cooler like someone else in this thread did in an effort to keep heat out of the stack.

Attachments

• IMG_5079.jpg
    IMG_5079.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5081.jpg
    IMG_5081.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5080.jpg
    IMG_5080.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5083.jpg
    IMG_5083.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 63

Kunz111

Jan 16, 2016
As an update, I received my cooler from Summit Racing this past week. I went with Derale PN 65861 which is equipped with a 9" SPAL puller fan. I'm planning on mounting this near the fuel cooler like someone else in this thread did in an effort to keep heat out of the stack.

That looks super nice. How much did that set you back?

Edit, I stopped being a lazy pile and looked it up myself. Not a bad price. Are you going to put the fan on a temp sensor for activation?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
That looks super nice. How much did that set you back?

Edit, I stopped being a lazy pile and looked it up myself. Not a bad price. Are you going to put the fan on a temp sensor for activation?

So originally I purchased it off of Summit for $499.99. Before my order shipped I noticed Jegs had it for $345.26. I hopped on the live chat with Summit and they pricematched/beat it by $1 so life is good.

I am going to run a Setrab TS180 thermostat (180f activation, ~165f turnoff) which mimics the thermostat in my sandwich plate almost perfectly and will run the relay for the fan. I will supply power to the thermostatic switch from my lift pump activation source (key on) so that it can only run while the key is on. I am putting the thermostat in the outlet of the block (pre-any oil cooling) while monitoring the temperature as it enters the block (post all oil cooling). I also am switching to the 2020 L5P oil cooler at the same time.

rmk800ak

Jun 27, 2009
Fairbanks AK.
So originally I purchased it off of Summit for $499.99. Before my order shipped I noticed Jegs had it for $345.26. I hopped on the live chat with Summit and they pricematched/beat it by $1 so life is good.

I am going to run a Setrab TS180 thermostat (180f activation, ~165f turnoff) which mimics the thermostat in my sandwich plate almost perfectly and will run the relay for the fan. I will supply power to the thermostatic switch from my lift pump activation source (key on) so that it can only run while the key is on. I am putting the thermostat in the outlet of the block (pre-any oil cooling) while monitoring the temperature as it enters the block (post all oil cooling). I also am switching to the 2020 L5P oil cooler at the same time.

The adapters you’re having made are for a MoCal sandwich adapter ? Or a Earls ? Or will it fit both ? I thought the mocal plate was the only one with a thermostat? Let me know if it’s for a mocal plate I’m game for one.

Thanks
Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
The adapters you’re having made are for a MoCal sandwich adapter ? Or a Earls ? Or will it fit both ? I thought the mocal plate was the only one with a thermostat? Let me know if it’s for a mocal plate I’m game for one.

Thanks
Ryan

The adapter I am going to have made is the actual nipple on the oil filter housing itself that the oil filter threads onto (male to male), not the threaded adapter that secures the sandwich plate (female to male). The sandwich plate I am using is Earls -10 that has been internally ported. I will be using some cheap steel -10ORB to -12 JIC that I will drill out to meet the ID of the -12 side to eliminate the restriction. I am then going to all -12 braided lines.

Kunz111

Jan 16, 2016
Where is everyone putting their oil temp sensor? I’m sure it’s been discussed but this is a very long thread. I think I need to get on doing some oil cooling mods.

rmk800ak

Jun 27, 2009
Fairbanks AK.
The adapter I am going to have made is the actual nipple on the oil filter housing itself that the oil filter threads onto (male to male), not the threaded adapter that secures the sandwich plate (female to male). The sandwich plate I am using is Earls -10 that has been internally ported. I will be using some cheap steel -10ORB to -12 JIC that I will drill out to meet the ID of the -12 side to eliminate the restriction. I am then going to all -12 braided lines.

Ok makes sense now . Threw me off a bit must of missed it in the last 1000posts . Put my name on one if you have any more not spoken for .

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Where is everyone putting their oil temp sensor? I’m sure it’s been discussed but this is a very long thread. I think I need to get on doing some oil cooling mods.

You have 3 main options that are readily available. I will be putting my oil thermostat switch for my fan in position 2 below and my temp sensor in position 3.

1) Engine oil pan (oil pump pickup)
2) outlet of the block pre-oil coolers, hottest location
3) Inlet of the block post-oil coolers, coolest location and the fluid the main bearings/engine sees

Ok makes sense now . Threw me off a bit must of missed it in the last 1000posts . Put my name on one if you have any more not spoken for .

So far only 5 are spoken for. It may take some time as I don't have my 2020 oil cooler. Note, the machined oil filter nipple I'm having done is ONLY for use with the 2020 oil cooler, not 01-19.

rmk800ak

Jun 27, 2009
Fairbanks AK.
You have 3 main options that are readily available. I will be putting my oil thermostat switch for my fan in position 2 below and my temp sensor in position 3.

1) Engine oil pan (oil pump pickup)
2) outlet of the block pre-oil coolers, hottest location
3) Inlet of the block post-oil coolers, coolest location and the fluid the main bearings/engine sees

So far only 5 are spoken for. It may take some time as I don't have my 2020 oil cooler. Note, the machined oil filter nipple I'm having done is ONLY for use with the 2020 oil cooler, not 01-19.

Yep the 2020 cooler is what I plan on using on my build