oil cooler delete

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Dan can you give me some more info on this?

after you delete the factory cooler what do you do as far as the new cooler?

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Not to speak for Dan (this is his product), I just finished installation of this product.

1. This kit allows you to run up to #12 line from engine to cooler and back.
2. It's tapped in (2) places for feeding single or twin chargers, IIRC it has (1) each 1/2" and 1/4" ID line/holes.
3. It removes the heat load from the cooling system and isolates it a stand alone cooler.
4. It is black anodized billet alumineeum. (I like spelling it like that)

Potential issue: You'll need to fab a new portion of coolant line. The existing metal line that runs from the water pump to the back of the motor will be 5-6"" to short. The new line isn't a straight shot, you'll need a 1 3/4" "U" bend and some silicone hose to get from factory line to the new transition plate mounted to the rear cover.

If you have time and equipment/talent you could fab an entirely new hardline and flatten it to fit between the motor mount and the exhaust mani. A silicone hose will not fit and IS NOT desirable as it rests directly against the manifold. I looked into a braided line with teflon and it's only good to 450*, no line i found fit the design criteria. I base this on 750* intermitent and 230* coolant temp.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Has anyone run numbers on the stock cooler for pressure drop?

Not that i am aware of.

Having dismantled the entire assembly i think i can say with some assurance that a better job can be done, from a performance standpoint. There was a guy on DP that created/did some research on a add exchanger for oil and set it beneath the bumper. I have the link on my home computer if you are interested i will post it for you.

Tired Old Man

Aug 15, 2007
Where ever the wind blows
Not that i am aware of.

Having dismantled the entire assembly i think i can say with some assurance that a better job can be done, from a performance standpoint. There was a guy on DP that created/did some research on a add exchanger for oil and set it beneath the bumper. I have the link on my home computer if you are interested i will post it for you.

That was KillerBee, see previous post

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
An oil cooler delete and cleaner-looking water pump delete are on my winter list of changes to be made. Mike, I would be using a large external cooler with fans; is there an ideal location to place it so that it does not restrict lubrication during cold starts?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Tim FYI there are some real nice water to air coolers if you want to get fancy

If your woried about looseing oil on cold starts just run the cooler high and intall a check valve in the supply line

I'm not running a oil cooler any more but I also don't Dd abby

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
my cooler is the one Killerbee used to sell, I got it second-hand and I have to say, it is really really nice quality. I guess I can try to mount it up higher in front of the radiator stack. My AC is gone. I am a little lost on the check valve though, what would that do for me?

Thanks Simon.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Simon, I am definitely doing a water pump cover and crossover tube delete similar to yours though, I hate the fact that my headers are so close to the crossover tube and oil cooler. what did you use for machined parts in your oil cooler delete to block the oil and water passages?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
The filter adapter on killerbees kit has a thermostat in it anyways so the only way to have zero oil pressure untill the cooler fills with oil is if you run no thermostat at all.

cuminstrkmydmax

Sep 10, 2008
North East MD
Can someone give some more details (parts used and pics) on what it takes to delete the oil cooler and water pump cover and cross over delete. I would like to do this on the puller.

THANKS -Steven