October '22 chat -- "Ghosts in the Machines"

Status
Not open for further replies.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Fuse box. Helped the FIL replace the rear harness on an 05 2500HD gasser, wasn't terrible at all. I'm sure it would be a pain with the bed still on

That’s what I thought.

If one could be sourced it wouldn’t be that bad.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I’m basically the grinch when it comes to decorations.

My gf would put the entire hobby lobby store up if an option

That's me and my wife isn't far off. With my son being special needs and his destructive nature we are down to nothing on the walls of our house. My little girl loves decorations, so I spent a few bucks and did a little outside just for her. Just to try and make up for the inability for us to have in anything inside the house.

I went to check on some things Sunday on my site before some rain moved in. My little girl loves to ride around with me, so I took her a long in my LBZ. I gave her a ride on a dozer and we pushed down a few trees. She loved it.

Attachments

• 20221016_104419.jpg
    20221016_104419.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 17

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I went to check on some things Sunday on my site before some rain moved in. My little girl loves to ride around with me, so I took her a long in my LBZ. I gave her a ride on a dozer and we pushed down a few trees. She loved it.
Lol my boy loves riding on my tractor. little dude will sit on there for hours with me. im about to figure out how to put a seat on the fender to get him off my lap. hed go ate shit if he could sit in a dozer and knock trees over :ROFLMAO:

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Lol my boy loves riding on my tractor. little dude will sit on there for hours with me. im about to figure out how to put a seat on the fender to get him off my lap. hed go ate shit if he could sit in a dozer and knock trees over :ROFLMAO:
I really hope you meant he would go Ape rather than the physical description posted... :eek:

Either way you are both lucky to have kids that you enjoy getting out side and playing with you.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I really hope you meant he would go Ape rather than the physical description posted... :eek:

Either way you are both lucky to have kids that you enjoy getting out side and playing with you.
lol yeah, fat fingers. If he hears the dirt bike fire up, dude comes running!

Funny story:
So back when my boy was 2ish, he would NOT listen. he went his own direction 24/7 and you had to watch him all the time. All the while, he LOVES getting on the 400ex and going for a putt. if any kind of quad started in camp, he would be right there looking to go for a ride.

We are up north camping one summer weekend and my boy is being himself. the dude will just start walking out of camp going on his own hike. My wife and i would trade off who would run after him. Finally i had enough and had a bright idea. i didnt tell my wife of course but said "hold on, let him walk out a little farther, i got an idea". i let it get to the point my wife is starting to get pissed im not going to get him (hes like 100-150 yards from the trailer, we can see him and absolutely 0 roads or people where he is). So i get up and walk to the 400ex, i start it and you see my son, look back, turn around and start BOOKING it back towards the quad. Little dude wrecked twice trying to get back so fast :ROFLMAO:. i did that pretty much all weekend, then take him for a ride lol

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course

I rode on a car seat bungee courted do fender of our tractors until I was too big for it.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I wanted to talk about something sort of technical but not really interested in opening up a new thread. I figured most people would pop in here anyway. So years ago when I was first getting into these trucks, I remember guys claiming EGR valves were blowing open under high boost, and that's why you needed an EGR blocker plate. After I had been in it for a little while, I actually looked at how the EGR valve is designed, and it appears to me that because of the dual valve design, it would be impossible to blow open an EGR valve with either high boost or high drive pressure. Both boost and drive pressure act on the valve in both directions, and the surface area in the close direction is higher than the open direction which means the higher boost and EGT go, the more it wants to close the valve. That in combination with the spring makes it something that cannot happen. Am I alone here? I bring it up because of a post I saw on Facebook yesterday. I'm curious to hear the opinion of some of you.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Josh, do you have any good photos of the valves or actuators and such? I've always wondered about that too but never having one in front of me to study it closer I've always just gone on what the confesses is as it did seem to cure the problem

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I have heard that, and I am not sure if its possible either.
I could see the soot build up causing it not to shut all the way.

An Observation I have seen on a stock type application is that with the EGR Not functioning, These trucks no longer blow black smoke under acceleration. you get more of a haze if anything.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I will say I’ve personally ran multiple trucks with no blocker plate with zero issue. From stock to max effort tune

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Josh, do you have any good photos of the valves or actuators and such? I've always wondered about that too but never having one in front of me to study it closer I've always just gone on what the confesses is as it did seem to cure the problem
I'll attach a picture from google, but basically it's a dual valve design that has two valve heads of the same size stacked on a single stem in a housing with 3 chambers. The boost enters the outer chambers and the exhaust enters the center chamber. Because you lose the surface are where the valve seat is located, the surface are where boost or drive pressure act on the valve is larger in the direction where the force on the valve pushes it closed than it is where it pushes the valve open. Then you have the spring pressure on top of that (which is pretty minimal for the reasons I previously described and so the EGR motor isn't overworked trying to open the valve).

Exhaust port

Boost ports
I have heard that, and I am not sure if its possible either.
I could see the soot build up causing it not to shut all the way.

An Observation I have seen on a stock type application is that with the EGR Not functioning, These trucks no longer blow black smoke under acceleration. you get more of a haze if anything.
I have seen that happen before, but that is not the same as someone saying it was blown open.
I will say I’ve personally ran multiple trucks with no blocker plate with zero issue. From stock to max effort tune
I have also never had a problem. What I have seen is people leave the EGR valve plugged in, and the ECM is still commanding EGR operation.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
from what I can see, it looks like the spring on the motor is trying to push it open and it's the motor that pulls it closed. does that sound right? if so, is it possible that the motor in an idle state can drift open under the pressure of the spring and if the connector is not plugged in or if it is turned off, etc then the motor won't pull it back shut. when it's open there would be less force to act on holding it shut

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I wanted to talk about something sort of technical but not really interested in opening up a new thread. I figured most people would pop in here anyway. So years ago when I was first getting into these trucks, I remember guys claiming EGR valves were blowing open under high boost, and that's why you needed an EGR blocker plate. After I had been in it for a little while, I actually looked at how the EGR valve is designed, and it appears to me that because of the dual valve design, it would be impossible to blow open an EGR valve with either high boost or high drive pressure. Both boost and drive pressure act on the valve in both directions, and the surface area in the close direction is higher than the open direction which means the higher boost and EGT go, the more it wants to close the valve. That in combination with the spring makes it something that cannot happen. Am I alone here? I bring it up because of a post I saw on Facebook yesterday. I'm curious to hear the opinion of some of you.
I heard that the truck would command the EGR to open. It was something to do with airflow. I can’t remember if it was too much boost or too much commanded boost according to how much airflow the truck was getting.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
ok, so does it look something like this?

View attachment 110539
Yes, that is what it looks like. There is a small spring on the EGR valve motor plunger that pushes against the valve to keep it in contact with the top of the valve stem, but there is a larger spring on the valve itself that pushes it closed. The motor pushes the valve open and the spring on the valve closes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.