OBX Outlaws May 22

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
the date is set we will be having the 4th annual outlaw drag race in Creswell Nc at the outerbanks speedway.as sponsors teams and events get finalized info will be posted...hope to see you there

would be great if we could get some of you left coasters to show up:hug::D;)

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Cool!

I like seeing it early again. It's nice for us cold weather people to get away early and see some warm weather. Thanks Jeff

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
dang it i totally assed up i meant to say may22 il contact some one about changing the thread title...

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
Looking forward to this again this year - I enjoyed the "top truck challenge" last year but hope to see more contenders and payouts for more than first place. Contact me about sponsorship some time.
Dusten i will be contacting sponsors in the upcoming weeks and months.i hope to be able to have the top truck again but we have not nailed down a sled pull or the dyno as ofyet. we are working on it.more to come...

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Idea:

BigTuna Trophy. Truck must appear totally stock. CR Only (to keep the 12v guys from arguing nitrous, a S400 and AG pump were COPO options). Allowable changes are tuning, tires/wheels, internal transmission changes, fuel pump internal mods, exhaust, air intake. Stock factory turbo, #2 diesel only, no drugs. A "BPU" truck, aka Tune Only. Full stock interior, tailgate, and body.

Will it be Dodge, Ford, or Chevy? This is the first year all three have a shot at it.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
We need a caravan of trucks to head east. I'd like to see Russ, Trent and his crew, the McRat's, the ATP/MPI/Max'd Out crew, Newly and the Purple people, Rob Hall.......

Just need to have the sled pull more organized and actually weigh in and tech the trucks.

For anyone that wants to look into a hotel we have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Plymouth for the last 2 years - the parking lot will be full of diesel trucks. There is also camping room at the track.

Idea:

BigTuna Trophy. Truck must appear totally stock. CR Only (to keep the 12v guys from arguing nitrous, a S400 and AG pump were COPO options). Allowable changes are tuning, tires/wheels, internal transmission changes, fuel pump internal mods, exhaust, air intake. Stock factory turbo, #2 diesel only, no drugs. A "BPU" truck, aka Tune Only. Full stock interior, tailgate, and body.

Will it be Dodge, Ford, or Chevy? This is the first year all three have a shot at it.

While it's a good idea there is no way you will ever get everyone to agree on what is allowed. IMO fuel pump mods puts you out of the tune only category - there are modded pumps out now that flow what dual CP3s will flow. What about headers and up-pipes? They are bolt-on but some people would argue that they aren't "basic" power upgrades. Then the 6.4L Ford guys are going to argue that it should be with a stock transmission.

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
guys keep ideas coming on what you feel would make the event more of a must attend .as far as class rules would go in a class like top truck or a similar,i will leave the majority of the rules to be made by the lead class sponsor.

as far as the sled pull goes i know there was trouble last year and it didnt go as i planned.lots of he said she said and rules got changed because of squeaking wheels getting the grease,had i of been there instead of still being tied up with the races this woudnt have happened.i assure you if the sled pull happens this year it will be ran with the same organization and preset rules as the racing section or there will be no pulling...

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I would love to hit this event , we will have to wait and see what the budget for travel is next year though .

Operator1

Nov 20, 2009
NC
Idea:

That's right up my alley.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
We need a caravan of trucks to head east. I'd like to see Russ, Trent and his crew, the McRat's, the ATP/MPI/Max'd Out crew, Newly and the Purple people, Rob Hall.......

Just need to have the sled pull more organized and actually weigh in and tech the trucks.

For anyone that wants to look into a hotel we have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Plymouth for the last 2 years - the parking lot will be full of diesel trucks. There is also camping room at the track.

While it's a good idea there is no way you will ever get everyone to agree on what is allowed. IMO fuel pump mods puts you out of the tune only category - there are modded pumps out now that flow what dual CP3s will flow. What about headers and up-pipes? They are bolt-on but some people would argue that they aren't "basic" power upgrades. Then the 6.4L Ford guys are going to argue that it should be with a stock transmission.

Here's the issue, and it's simply pragmatic:

There is no teardown, no protests, no $50,000 purse, just a pat on the back and some hardware.

You can't tech fuel pumps, transmissions, or engine internals in 20 minutes. You can just barely tech for nitrous and chargers. So you could set the rules: Stock Engine, Pump, Trans, Turbo, Injectors, etc. The only thing you're going to be able to enforce is the charger. If it has been replaced, or visibly machined, you can see it.

I'd rather see it stock pump but that means that those who are honest and run a stock pump will be at a minor disadvantage to those who run them and keep it secret.

The genie is out of the bottle on that one. But as long as the turbo remains stock, it's not much advantage. Back when we were testing dual fuelers on stock trucks, it didn't make them go much quicker, a couple tenths at best, but usually less.

So far, the "stock turbo, no drugs" trucks from Dodge, Ford, and Chevy are all in the 12's.

I predict it will be a stock pump Dmax that will win. But maybe a CR Dodge will surprise everybody. Could be a Ford set up right too.

The way the Tech'g will work: Everybody who wants to be in the class, show up in the back of the lanes at XX:XX am. Everybody pop their hoods, open their doors. The BigTuna guys will check out each other's trucks and have a BS/smacktalk session, and sign up. Everybody runs whatever other race classes they want, and saves their timeslips. At the end, everybody meets back there at XX:XX, and compares slips and pops hoods. This would be no burden on the event, and would not stop anyone from running other classes. I will ship the trophy to Jess, but it will have just The Big Tuna OBX 2010 on it. The winner has the other guys congrat him and sign his slip, and he gets the trophy from Jess.

eds04max

May 7, 2008
Landis, N.C.
guys keep ideas coming on what you feel would make the event more of a must attend .as far as class rules would go in a class like top truck or a similar,i will leave the majority of the rules to be made by the lead class sponsor.

as far as the sled pull goes i know there was trouble last year and it didnt go as i planned.lots of he said she said and rules got changed because of squeaking wheels getting the grease,had i of been there instead of still being tied up with the races this woudnt have happened.i assure you if the sled pull happens this year it will be ran with the same organization and preset rules as the racing section or there will be no pulling...

This might be a good year for me to help you guy's with that.........if manpower is the issue. (Something to think about)

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
have started to gain a few sponsors for this years event.in additon to our local sponsors who i will pimp later id like to welcome back DuramaxDiesels.com. i will let Pat exsplain but i think it will be right up you guys' alley.i am also pleased to announce that Valair clutch has signed on to help us out.thanks for the support...more to come...

cuminstrkmydmax

Sep 10, 2008
North East MD
I may try to make it down there again this year. I had a good time last year- and a better organized tech and weigh in at the sled pull would only make it better! I marked it on the calendar- hope that i can see ya all there! THANKS Steven