O-Ringing the block and heads.....

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
Can somebody explain the process and what it achieves with head gasket problems? Thanks :) didn't want to jack anybody elses thread so i started my own

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Not spicificlly to diesels but our Arias is o-ringed. the cylinder head has each combustion chamber sealing edged cut. A thin groove is cut in the surface for a stainless steel wire to be tapped into. But the groove is shallow so the wire protrudes out of the deck. In the block, another corrisponding groove is cut. So when the head is bolted down, the wire pinches and presses the wire down into the groove, like a u-shape. :D

On edit: It pinches the head gasket into a "U" between the protruding wire and groove. It applies greater psi right at the sealing edge!

Last edited:

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
can somebody explain the process and what it achieves with head gasket problems? Thanks :) didn't want to jack anybody elses thread so i started my own

the process starts like this: The engine block gets a small groove cut around each bore and a steel oring gets fitted into them, the heads get the same type of groove and ring and what this does is it clamps the combustion rings on the gasket to not allow combustion gasses to escape into the coolant or coolant into the combustion chamber.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
I was told that in o-ringing only the head was cut. But fire ringing the head and block are cut.

since we have aluminum heads, that theory doesnt apply here. fire rings are thicker steel rings that are put into the head or block's grove, and the steel rings from the gasket are laser cut out because they are no longer needed to seal the combustion chamber.(the head gasket is now only used to seal the coolant and oil from each other) the dmax needs the head and block o-ringed to squash the steel rings in the gasket to seal the combustion chamber.

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
Ok this might be a dumb question. And not meaning to hi-jack. But is everyone that is doing motor builds fire ringing or o-ringing. I know on the cummins puller I am helping to build we are fire ringing it. But I don't have a clue or haven't paid attention on what to do on a D-max.

Last edited:

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
Most everybody isn't... Studs are generally enough. The ARP 625's should hold 75psi just fine.

Make sure the shop that is doing your o-ringing knows what they're doing because you can really have a mess on your hands if they screw up.

Brayden

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
i was talking to Brad the owner of dirtymax about this and he said he has broke every part in the dmax ( not litteraly ) except blown a head gasket with studs . he has even bent /broke TTS rods according to him . he is pushing 120 psi

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
i was talking to Brad the owner of dirtymax about this and he said he has broke every part in the dmax ( not litteraly ) except blown a head gasket with studs . he has even bent /broke TTS rods according to him . he is pushing 120 psi

did he show you pics of the bent/broken rods? i have not read about any failures of name brand rods (okay except ben's and josh's rods) but really what caused it? mcrat's 2 crowers bent slightly due to the pistons sticking in the bores from being melted.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
did he show you pics of the bent/broken rods? i have not read about any failures of name brand rods (okay except ben's and josh's rods) but really what caused it? mcrat's 2 crowers bent slightly due to the pistons sticking in the bores from being melted.

i didnt ask . but i heard it from some one else before i heard it from Brad . he has ran faster than anyone but Banks . just stating what i heard dont care to make a big deal out of it .

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC

Thats crazy! I am confused though as I believe Pat has blown 2 head gaskets with only studs and Stingpuller just blew his HG's with studs I doubt either of them are running over 70psi boost:confused:

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Thats crazy! I am confused though as I believe Pat has blown 2 head gaskets with only studs and Stingpuller just blew his HG's with studs I doubt either of them are running over 70psi boost:confused:

But with what Static compression? Even with all that boost you will never make back the cylinder pressure you lose with low compression.

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
Keep in mind what is one of the main culprit failures in a forced induction motor.

We have yet to find the need to fire ring a Duramax to date. If concerned about HG's I would go with a higher tensil strength head stud, but be prepaired to spend some money.

Last edited:

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
^^^Yep break out the checkbook.

Run of the mill ARP2000s $650 ish. 180,000psi Tensile

ARP Custom Age 625s $1700 IIRC I think more though. 220,000psi tensile

correct me if i am wrong on any of this.