Not starting, Service Stabilitrak/TBS

2011Dmax

Sep 27, 2020
My 2011 GMC stalled today while in park. It has done this before, usually it starts right back up. The truck didn’t start. Service Trailer Brake System and Service Stabilitrak came on. This is not new, I can usually slam the hood and it fixes itself. Not today. Thinking it’s a bad ground somewhere. Not very skilled with this stuff. Anybody else have these issues? Any recommendations?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Pull the codes (all the codes). Has the tcm ever been replaced? It will set all kinds of weird codes and cause a no start. The “slamming the hood” kinda points to a tcm issue as well since it hangs in the fan shroud.

Knowing the codes will help nail it down

2011Dmax

Sep 27, 2020
The TCM was replaced (still under the 24,000 mile warranty from the auto shop) last September. The first time a faulty wiring harness had caused transmission fluid to leak into it and the truck would not shift out of first gear. If there isn’t a check engine light it won’t shoot codes will it? If it will, I will pull codes tomorrow.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Tcm is not at the trans nor would it be able to get any kind of trans fluid in it. That sounds like the transmission internal wiring harness was replaced.

Always scan for codes. It may or may not set the MIL

Reactions: 2011Dmax

2011Dmax

Sep 27, 2020
I’m probably wrong, however I was definitely told the TCM and a wiring harness was replaced. like I mentioned, outside of how to change a fuel filter, condenser, and putting a new connector on for headlights I am fairly clueless... I appreciate the advice though. Just not where sure I should go from hear. Any chance you think it could be a bad ground?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’m probably wrong, however I was definitely told the TCM and a wiring harness was replaced. like I mentioned, outside of how to change a fuel filter, condenser, and putting a new connector on for headlights I am fairly clueless... I appreciate the advice though. Just not where sure I should go from hear. Any chance you think it could be a bad ground?

could be? could be a mouse got up in the fuse block, could be a rubbed through wire, could be a different bad module... put a quality scanner on it and lets go from there. if you dont have a means to do this, you might be best having it towed to a shop.

05LLYDMAX

Midget Nate
Jun 29, 2013
Ever get any codes out of it?

2011Dmax

Sep 27, 2020
Heading to the shop now to pick the truck up. No codes were thrown. From what I could get out of the mechanic over the phone is that it was something to do with the junction box. I’ll post more after talking with him.

2011Dmax

Sep 27, 2020
It ended up just needing a new junction box. I started to look at it the other day but got a little nervous. Out of the shop for less than $600. Took the shop 4 days to diagnose and they are usually very quick (my buddy owns an asphalt business and takes all of his trucks there). Cost me about $300 in labor and up charged parts, but I wouldn’t have had the first clue on beginning how to diagnose it. Overall, pretty happy. Thanks for trying to help!

05LLYDMAX

Midget Nate
Jun 29, 2013
Doesn’t go much smoother than that really, anytime I’ve come across this issue it’s been a wire worn through in random spots. Never had the same fix haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2011Dmax