Not priming in the cold

BigdaddyCtrain

Big ideas but no money....
Dec 9, 2014
Idaho
So i left my truck sit in 5-15 degree temps for about 3 days and now i can not get it to start for the life of me. I plugged it in over night and now I'm almost certain my block heater is broken because nothing has changed, crawled under and nothing was warm, no snow melting anywhere, etc. I had the correct amount of PS winterized antigel stuff in the tank, but now either the lines are gelled anyways or i have an air leak in the fuel line somewhere. I'v had a good bit of priming issues recently but never to this extent. I replaced the fuel filter, wif sensor, and filled it with fuel and a little PS, but it still won't prime. The primer will not get hard ever, and no fuel comes out of the bleeder screw when its open, even with the newly replaced filter with fresh diesel in it. I greased all around the priming pump hoping to seal any air leaks, but nothing helped. When i press the primer i can hear air come out, but when it releases back up i hear air going back in which I haven't had happen before. Im at a loss here, Idk what to do at this point to get it to prime, so hopefully someone can chime in with some advice.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
i had the exact problem, i had a priming issue but never reaaly showed its face until i came up to ND in the winter. the truck would not start at all. at first ithought it was gelled or too cold. as soon as i rebuilt the filter head she fired right up. the cold makes the seals shrink and makes the problem worse. so if you say you had a priming issue before im sure thaat is your problem.

BigdaddyCtrain

Big ideas but no money....
Dec 9, 2014
Idaho
Okay i ended up puting diesel through the bleeder valve and quite a bit went in, after a few tries finally got it to start :woott:. I'v been letting it idle for a while, came out and it was pouring coolant out of the coolant overflow tube, backed it out of the driveway and parked it. When i went to check the coolant i opened it real slow wating for all the air and coolant to leak out, then i thought i was good and boom! Im now covered in coolant, thank god it wasn't hot. The coolant still said it was full after i lost quite a bit so i thought i had too much in there, but then it starting bubbling down and now its pretty low. I'v had the coolant issue happen once before about 3 weeks ago, filled it up to full again and havent had any issues till now. I have no idea whats happening with the coolant, but do you think i should fill it to full again, or just leave it? Oh and its been telling me low coolant for a month or two now off and on randomly, and I'v checked it multiple times and its always fine except for that one incident. And I'v got plenty of coolant in there not too much water, probably 60/40 mix with more coolant. So if anyone has any ideas let me know, thanks!

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Head gaskets or cups. Had any injector work done lately? Refill the coolant get it warmed up good and let it sit over night and see if the upper rad hose is rock hard.