No first gear on selector

Krispy

May 24, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
My truck will shift to all the positions on the gauge cluster ( P R N D 3 2 1 ) except for 1st gear. I get down to 2nd and there is no more movement in the shifter. All the other gears work properly. I'm not having any issues, codes, or problem. Just curious as to why this is happening. I've only moves the shifter around in park, not while moving

Last edited:

Krispy

May 24, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Will the shiter physically not go down to the first gear position or is the gear indicator not moving to first gear?

It physically won't move any lower. I haven't suspected linkage because all other positions work fine. The hazard button also will not move up or down. Seems to be binding with something and there is a screw missing from the steering column cover. I suspect maybe the previous owner my have been tinkering around in there? Or the sh*t shady dealership I bought it from.

Has the trans ever been out of it?

Not that I am aware of. I've had it for just over two months and the vin. Check I ran didn't show it being done at the dealer. I changed the internal filter, external, and fluid when I bought it. The internal I took out looked dam near brand new and the magnets were clean. So idk if a filter service was done or if someoe had the trans out.

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
Have you counted down the shifts because sometimes when trucks get older the cluster dont show right reason why Im saying this because my friends truck when it shows it is R on the cluster it is really in N, just making sure it wasnt something simple

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Disconnect cable from lever and move the lever counting the gears. Make sure the parking brake is on. Also make sure that the ball on the lever is pointed out and not in towards the trans.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
every time i drive my truck is snow this happens...snow and ice bind the linkage and dont let me into 1st and sometimes 2nd.

suppose it could happen from dirt or mud as well, just an idea to check

Grizz3500

May 28, 2011
Hauser, Idaho
My truck did the same after built trans install, would not shift down into 1st. I'm not sure if 5 speeds are like my ally 1000 (6 speed). After talking to Mike, I learned my Linkage arm ( on side of trans ) had been installed backwards, with ball pointed towards trans. I just reversed the arm and all works perfectly.