Help: No chain in transfer case

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
Just got back home to KY a day ago and a buddy of mine just bought an 06 Duramax. 4x4 doesn't work. Everything checked out but when we decided to look inside the transfer case to fix the pub rub issue, there was no chain?? Completely gone as if someone removed it. No telling how long it's been ran like this or what the previous owner done. My question is, is it ok to be ran like that? You can see in the case where it appears the chain was slapping it. I'll post pics as soon as I can. Thanks a lot guys, I've never seen this. Truck works fine, just no 4x4

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The chain is there to transfer power to the front drive shaft. I don't see why it wouldn't work for 2WD.

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
Yeah the truck does fine in 2wd with no issues we were just loosing our mind trying to track down what was wrong until we found no chain. Will it hurt anything not running a chain? That's what our concern in being we are going to fix the pump rub issue today. Thanks Mike

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
Haha yeah I'd guess so but I was just wondering if it would hurt anything. We are about to do a rebuild and pump rub so didn't know if having no chain would mess anything up or if he should order a chain, thanks guy

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
Haha yeah I'd guess so but I was just wondering if it would hurt anything. We are about to do a rebuild and pump rub so didn't know if having no chain would mess anything up or if he should order a chain, thanks guy

Does he want 4wd? If so, put a chain in it while you have it apart. As to if it will hurt anything or not, I don't see why it would.