Newbie tuning

RedChevy2005

Mar 7, 2024
USA
I am completely new to efi live tuning, the most i have done so far is flash a purchased tune and move some stuff around on a stock tune. any pointers will be appreciated and i will also be buying a tuning class this summer.
I have browsed the tune library and collected a few stock tunes to tuck away for reference :)

Woody35

Jan 4, 2013
You need a Flashscan V2 or V3 to tune the truck yourself. If you have an Autocal that can only be used to Flash tunes from your tuner. Classes are great for basic knowledge and examples. Besides that researching all the different forums is a good start. Once you feel ready to start yourself, only make small changes. Log your changes and see what works and what doesn't.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
The 20/20 will get you fairly familiar with the tables. Advice? Make small changes, always keep track of what you changed, and keep a backup of your original tune.

Reactions: gmc502

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I’ve read through a few tune tutorials like the 20/20 tow tune
That's a good start but only the tip of the iceberg. You should read at least 10x that amount and change even less. Use the search feature for table and map names/numbers to see threads about them. Ask specific questions when you can't find a thread here or elsewhere about what to do. Don't ask broad questions like "how to increase HP" as those have been beaten to death and are so broad that people get exhausted trying to answer them.

And then read some more

Reactions: blueshift

Woody35

Jan 4, 2013
HP Academy literally has worked examples of your model truck. IMO it is a good investment. Read the EFI Live forum front to back.

blueshift

Jan 29, 2024
Raleigh
At the end of the day, the broad concepts of tuning these trucks are not that complicated.

1. You press the accelerator, which demands some amount of fuel ("Throttle Base Injection Quantity")
2. At that TBIQ, it looks up a desired fuel pressure ("Fuel Pressure Base") dependent on rpm.
3. With this fuel pressure and injection quantity, it determines a length of time in microseconds for the injector to open ("Main Injection Pulse")
4. The exact moment that this pulse is injected is determined by the timing table at the given conditions ("Injection Timing Base")

And just like that, fuel squirts in, goes bang, and you smoke the tires off. 🤪

Of course, there's WAY more to it than that, especially once you get down into the nitty gritty details (like post / pilot injection, environmental modifiers, shift defueling, limiter tables, etc.). But I wouldn't worry too much about those details at the start.

Those details are definitely the kinds of things that forums are a big help on. Once you have your head around the basics pretty decently and start diving into specifics, you can typically search around for whatever specific thing you're investigating and find some good info. Here, older dieselplace posts, and efilive forum are where I'll typically search.

In a more general sense, the advice given so far is spot on. Make small changes to ONE thing at a time. Then go drive the truck, datalog it, and observe how it sounds, feels, drives, etc. different than before. I have a tune revision spreadsheet that I type notes and thoughts into as soon as I finish a drive, just so I don't forget. Looking back at those has been super helpful on several occasions.

Lastly, before making a single change to the tune, learn how to datalog. Play with different PIDs, learn the charts and graphs, make dashboards, etc. Also, look at certain parameter you may want to change eventually (timing, for example), then look at all your other inputs and work backwards to compare to your tune file. This can really help understand what's going on.

It's a daunting task, no doubt, but you'll catch on quicker than you think if you're smart and methodical about it. It just takes time.

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
I dont think starlite has any of those books in stock anymore, at least as of right now.